Crime Log: March 5-20

Diamond Naga Siu, Deputy News Editor

The NYU Department of Public Safety received two reports of controlled substance, one report of criminal mischief, one report of criminal tampering, five reports of harassment, six reports of larceny, one report of rape and two reports of stalking between March 5 and March 20.

Controlled Substance

At 2 a.m. on March 5, Public Safety recovered some marijuana in Second Street Residence Hall after somebody filed a report.

After somebody filed a report, Public Safety recovered a bit of marijuana in Weinstein Residence Hall on March 6 at 6:35 p.m.

Criminal Mischief

At 10:50 a.m. on March 10, a staff member declined notifying the police about damages to the 285 Mercer Street front door.

Criminal Tampering

A student at Othmer Residence Hall reported at 12:22 a.m. on March 7 that two of his t-shirts were stained when somebody put detergent and lint mid-cycle into the dryer he was using.  He declined notifying the police.

Harassment

Two unidentified females and one unidentified male made a lot of noise at 4:30 a.m. on March 5 while standing in University Hall Residence Hall’s doorway.  One of the females threatened the Public Safety Officer after he warned them to quiet down, and the two had a physical altercation after she threatened to “blow [the officer’s] head off.” The Public Safety Officer filed a police report, but the group left before the police arrived.

At 6:20 p.m. on March 7, an unidentified male told an NYU smoker to stop smoking, struck the student’s face and then fled the front of Bobst library, where the scene took place.  The student filed a police report and notified the police.

An NYU alumna was labeled as a persona non grata from Bobst Library on March 7 at 1 p.m., after she was denied access to a senior member of the administration. This alumna had sent harassing messages to the NYU administration in the past.

At the College of Dentistry on March 8 at 9 a.m., a student declined reporting to the police that another student sent her several unwanted texts and Facebook messages.

A student’s report was reclassified as harassment on March 10 at 9:45 p.m. because new information surfaced. Another student had sent her harassing texts and Instagram messages since September 2015, but in Clark Street Residence Hall, she declined an offer to notify the police.

Larceny

At 3:10 p.m. on March 7, a non-NYU female guest declined notifying the police about the disappearance of her wallet during an event.  It contained credit cards and $200 cash when she left it in her bag under a table in the 2 MetroTech Common Area.  She discovered it was missing at 12 a.m.

A student discovered her bicycle was missing at 7:30 p.m. after she secured it to a railing inside the Vanderbilt Hall courtyard at 11 a.m..  The cable lock was cut, and she filed a police report at 8:20 p.m. on March 7.

Sometime between 5 to 6:20 p.m. on March 10, a student’s iPad went missing while he was in classroom 102 of 19 University Place.  At 7:45 p.m., he declined notifying the police.

An “NYUSoE Tandon” banner went missing from the Dibner Library library on March 11 at 5:30 p.m., after a vendor stepped away from it for five to ten minutes.  He denied notifying the police that the banner was missing upon his return.

A student discovered that $250 was missing from her wallet when she left her purse unattended in Bobst library from 11 to 11:10 a.m. and 2 to 2:10 p.m. on March 14.  She discovered its disappearance at 4:10 p.m. and declined notifying the police.

On March 16, a student filed a police report at 8 p.m. that he secured his bike at 6:15 p.m. with a U-lock to a steel construction barricade.  The bike and lock were both missing from their location between LaGuardia Place and Schwartz Plaza on Washington Square South when he returned at 7:55 p.m.

Rape

On March 5 at 5:45 p.m., an NYU student reported that a male student sexually assaulted her in Clark Street Residence Hall.  She declined an offer to notify the police.

Stalking

On March 10 at 11 a.m., the Title IX Office for investigation was referenced for a student’s report in Dibner Library that a Tandon student has harassed her in person and through electronic means since fall 2013.

A Title IX investigation became active on March 16 at 5 p.m., when a student reported that her ex-boyfriend followed her on campus and then refused to leave.  He also sent her numerous harassing emails and texts since July 2015, and while outside 726 Broadway, she declined notifying the police.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 21 print edition.  Email Diamond Naga Siu at [email protected].