Swimming Builds a Standard of Success

via gonyuathletics.com

NYU’s Men’s Swimming team finished their season in 9th place.

Michael Thompson, Sports Editor

The NYU swimming and diving season came to a conclusion this weekend, as the men’s and women’s teams participated in the NCAA Division III Championships in Greensboro, North Carolina. After almost a week full of new records and a long list of All-American performances, the Violets continued an era of success in the program, with the men finishing ninth of 55 teams in their field and the women finishing eighth.

Both sides were anchored by strong performances in freestyle and relay events. Sophomore Austin Palmer finished with All-American honors in four different events, and was joined by eight other teammates who also earned the recognition in at least one event. Palmer was impressive in distances small and large, racking up accolades in events from the 400-yard individual medley to the 1,650-yard freestyle. His strongest performance was in the IM, where he finished fourth. However, Palmer also broke the NYU record in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing in 4:27.76.

Many of the swimmers found their best success in team competition. The men’s best event as a team was the 400-yard freestyle relay, where sophomores Chad Moody and Joseph Baron, junior Max Phillips and senior Win Htet Oo finished in just over three minutes, good enough to garner them sixth place. The Violets also found success in the 400-yard medley and 800-yard freestyle relays. Phillips, Palmer, sophomore Tim Kou and freshman Daryl Wang finished sixth in the 800, eight seconds behind the leaders, but good enough for a new NYU record. Baron was thrilled with the relay performances and considered the weekend to be a fitting conclusion to the season.

“Overall our ninth-place finish two years consecutively was a significant achievement considering we lost three captains that were instrumental to our success last year,” Baron said. “Everyone stepped up this year.”

After finishing ninth last year, the women’s team finished one spot higher and were also most successful in relay events. Seven Violets took home All-American honors in a combined four events — the 200 and 400-yard medley and freestyle relay events. Sophomore Isabelle Kitze was the Violets’ most decorated swimmer, earning honors in all four events, while also setting a new NYU record in the 100-yard freestyle. Her time of 50.88 was good enough for first place in the event’s consolation finals.

Fortunately, both teams won’t have to endure much of a transition period next season. With only three seniors leaving the program, the Violets will look to pick up right where they left off next fall.

A version of this article appeared in the March 21 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].