UniverSoul Circus Makes You a Kid Again

The+UniverSoul+Circus+is+currently+set+up+in+the+Bronx+through+the+end+of+May+and+is+full+of+tricks+and+feats+fit+for+all+ages.+

Lily Dolin

The UniverSoul Circus is currently set up in the Bronx through the end of May and is full of tricks and feats fit for all ages.

Lily Dolin, Staff Writer

The circus has come to New York City. UniverSoul Circus, a traveling, global production is putting on shows in various locations around the area from March 30 to May 30. Full of death-defying stunts, colorful performers and impressive magic tricks, UniverSoul Circus is a thrilling event.   

Currently, the show is set up in the Bronx in a large yellow and red circus tent reminiscent of traditional big tops. The performance began with a few warm-up acts by some enigmatic clowns. Dressed in rainbow colors, they engaged the audience with dancing, call-and-response chants and comedy. They were great at creating a fun and energetic atmosphere that lasted throughout the whole show. Following the clown act was a graceful trapeze artist who performed on a silver hoop elevated in the air. Her act was intense and dangerous, yet she twirled around and hung from the hoop with ease.

Afterwards, to the delight of the crowd, the dog act, Olate Dogs from Chile, appeared. Olate Dogs won America’s Got Talent a few years ago, and it is not hard to see why. The dogs jumped through hoops and performed incredible flips and tricks all while
looking adorable.

The rest of the show was filled with a great variety of acts, from African pole jumpers to magicians who transformed small puppies into full-grown women before the audience’s eyes. Performers dropped impossibly low to the ground as they limboed underneath a bar that was lit on fire. One of the best parts of the circus was the motorsport act, in which motorcyclist flipped and twirled while hundreds of feet in the air. The circus has a wide range of stunt-based and interactive acts that are bound to suit any audience.

In between some of the acts there was a brief audience game or interactive act. The emcee would call participants up from the audience and engage them in dance battles. Surprisingly, most of people brought up to the stage were talented dancers. One woman even won a $1000 American Express gift card. These dance interludes did get predictable after a while, but they were a fun way to keep the audience engaged while other acts were setting up.

While the age group at UniverSoul is slightly younger than the typical NYU student (try eight or nine years old), the show is fun for all ages, and definitely had mature aspects that students can enjoy. Overall, the circus is a treat for anyone, whether you are nine or 19.

UniverSoul Circus runs March 30-April 10 in the Bronx, April 12-24 in Brooklyn, April 27-May 15 in Queens and May 18-30 in Newark, New Jersey. Ticket prices range from $16 to $40.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 4 print edition. Email Lily Dolin at [email protected].