BREAKING: Taxi Hits Woman in Front of Weinstein

By Diamond Naga Siu, Deputy News Editor

Update – 2:00 p.m.

The NYPD told WSN that the woman remains in critical condition but is currently stable.

Original article

On Thursday at 10:50 a.m., a taxi ran over a middle-aged woman at the intersection of University Place and 8th Street due to a brake failure, according to witnesses on the scene.  The fire department was the first responder and evacuated her immediately.

NYU College of Dentistry professor John Evans saw the entire incident as he prepared to cross University Place on 8th Street.

“The woman was facing away from the cab, and when it hit her, she went up in the air and the cab basically pinned her against the wall,” Evans said. “I couldn’t see any amputations or obvious hemorrhaging, but there should be massive internal injuries.”

He said the cab stopped right before Washington Mews, and the victim faced the wall while stuck between the stucco and cab. They gave her chest compressions on the spot.

A Tisch sophomore, who preferred not to be named, also described the entire incident as she saw it while walked to class.

“All I heard was a loud crash — or scrape — which was the car. It went up on the sidewalk and it hit and shattered a clay pot,” she said. “All I saw was her folding under the car.”

The NYPD subsequently secured University Place from 8th street to Washington Mews.

news2Hannah Shulman

NYU Campus Cable Ed Eccles said there was a loud noise, but when he saw the scene, it did not make sense.

“I saw her lifted out of the car, and it looked like they ran her over,” Eccles said.  “Both are one way streets, so I don’t know why the taxi would be going this way on University Place.”

At 12:40 p.m., the NYPD reported that the woman is in critical condition.

Email Diamond Naga Siu at [email protected]

Diamond Naga Siu, News Editor
Diamond Naga Siu is the News Editor for the Washington Square News and is a sophomore studying Journalism and Educational Human Rights in Gallatin. When she isn’t telling bad puns or eating everything in sight, you can find her volunteering with children, meandering the streets or talking too much. Diamond Naga jumped coasts from Los...
Audrey Deng, Arts Editor
Audrey Deng joined WSN thinking it stood for Whoa, Snacks’n Naps. Alas, it turned out to be a newspaper organization, of which she now serves as Arts Editor. On weekends, she enjoys roaming art galleries and listening to Prairie Home Companion. On weekdays, she goes to classes for her English major and drinks lots of...
Hannah Shulman, Editor-at-Large
Hannah is a senior majoring in Metropolitan Studies. She don’t write too good so she takes pictures of anything and everything. When not explaining to you why Houston is the greatest city in the world, you can catch her showing you pictures of her dog, Coco. You can find her on Instagram @nef.jpeg. Also, Houston...
4 Comments

4 Responses to “BREAKING: Taxi Hits Woman in Front of Weinstein”

1. Tim on April 7th, 2016 2:43 pm

Can someone please explain how the taxi ended up facing south when 8th runs east and University runs north? I saw the ending of the accident but not how it ended up there.

2. Wentao Zou on April 7th, 2016 3:31 pm

The taxi was on 8 st, and it suddenly turned right on to the sidewalk. It feels like the car was still accelerating until stopped by the wall.

3. Hendes on April 7th, 2016 8:41 pm

Oh my gosh, I hope she is all right!

4. Ayhan kim on April 9th, 2016 2:06 pm

What is her name? Can you follow up with her condition please?