Top 10 Things You Missed in Sports Last Week

Costis Gontikas of the NYU Men’s Basketball Team played in the Gotham Hoops Invitational on Saturday.

via gonyuathletics.com

Michael Thompson, Sports Editor

Amongst the endless game recaps and constant action of NYU sports, a slew of players were recognized for their excellence and Mother Nature continued to create chaos for the baseball and softball teams. Here are your top 10 moments of the past week.

10) Mother Nature Cancels Games On The Diamond

Softball and baseball were no match for the chaotic weather conditions that hit the midwest, canceling a slate of games in the process. The baseball team has had six games called since Tuesday, and have only played once in the last week. The softball team has had even worse luck, with their last four games being canceled. The ladies have not played since March 30, and are not scheduled to play again until this Sunday, April 17.

9) Cassi Parulis Named Rookie Of The Week

For softball, the dynamic freshman was named ECAC Player of the Week for the first time in her collegiate career, and what a week it was. She dominated on the mound and at the plate, going 5-6 in two games against Stevens Institute of Technology. She also pitched nearly five innings in the second game to earn the win.

8) Tennis Trio Earns Monthly Honors

Carmen Lai, Fleura Shiyanova and Matt DeMichiel were named ECAC Players of the Month for March. The players combined for numerous wins in singles and doubles play, and have helped the men’s and women’s teams reach new heights this season.

7) Jenni Bluetling Named Rookie Of The Month

Bluetling was stellar on the links for the top-10 Violets, earning the monthly honor. At the Jekyll Island Women’s Collegiate Invitational, Bluetling’s second-round 71 tied for the third-lowest in NYU history.

6) Basketball Players Make All-Metropolitan Team

The Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association honored four Violets this week. Junior guard Kaitlyn Read and graduating forward Evan Kupferberg were both honored with First Team honors, while seniors Megan Dawe and Costis Gontikas were named to the Second Team.

5) Nick Benson And Chase Klein Named to All-UVC Team

The season is over, but the senior duo of Benson and Klein were honored for their play this week. Benson was named to the conference’s Second Team, while Klein received an honorable mention.

4) NYU Ranked #22 in Directors’ Cup

The Violets’ athletic programs combined to finish in the top 25 of the 449 competing Division III teams. The dominant women’s swimming team led the way, tallying 70.5 of NYU’s 380.5 total points.

3) Amazing 5K Race Successful In Second Year

Squash Hit was victorious in this year’s edition of the 5K, which has quickly become one of the bigger sporting events on NYU calendars. An impressive 66 teams competed in the event, with Squash Hit reaching the Brooklyn Athletic Facility from 404 Fitness in 44 minutes, a new event record.

2) Athletes Compete In Snow…In April

That’s right, the inconsistent weather of this April came down hard on golf and track and field. Snowflakes began to fall in New Jersey, as Violets golfers battled through wintry conditions on Saturday’s first round of the NYU Spring Invitational (key word: spring). Meanwhile, the Osprey Invite was cut short due to hazardous conditions.

1) Costis Gontikas To Appear in Gotham Hoops Invitational

The senior big man competed in the third edition of the showcase on Saturday in Brooklyn. Gontikas averaged almost 16 points per game in his final season for the Violets, and led the team with about two blocks per game.

A version of this article appeared in the April 11 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].