Lai, Shiyanova Power Tennis against Rochester

Via gonyuathletics.com

Freshman Benedict Teoh had a double victory against University of Rochester.

Michael Thompson, Sports Editor

After cracking the top 30 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, the NYU women’s tennis team kept their hot streak going on Saturday in their regular season finale against the University of Rochester, winning in dominant fashion 7-2. In other action, the men dropped their second straight against Rochester 6-3.

The 29th-ranked women’s squad was firing on all cylinders once again, running the table in doubles and taking four out of six matches in singles play. The stellar combination of senior Carmen Lai and freshman Fleura Shiyanova defeated Rochester’s Christine Ho and Camila Garcia 8-4. Meanwhile, freshmen Vanessa Scott and Alice McGinty defeated Alex Wolkoff and Lauren Zickar 8-3, while junior Laila El Dessouki and senior captain Madeline King gritted their way to an 8-6 win over Grace DiGiovanni and Darby McCall.

Lai, Shiyanova and Scott also made it look easy in singles, as the top three improved their combined record to 27-1 in the spring. Each won in straight sets, most notably Scott’s 6-1, 6-1 victory over Molly Goodman. El Dessouki got the Violets’ fourth singles win, besting Lauren Zickar 6-2, 6-0. Shiyanova credited the weather with making the win enjoyable.

“We were very solid starting from the doubles,” Shiyanova said. “The weather was very nice so we enjoyed our matches and that had a great impact on our win. There were no doubts.”

Unfortunately, the men didn’t have the same level of luck, only winning one doubles match and two singles matches. The day’s best performances were from junior Matthew DeMichiel and freshman Benedict Teoh, who both notched two wins. Teamed with each other in doubles, the duo defeated Rochester’s Ian Baranowski and Kevin Hunt 8-3. In singles, DeMichiel scored a 6-2, 6-3 defeat over Aaron Mevorach. Teoh’s singles match against Baranowski was a thriller, with Teoh coming from behind to grab a dramatic 3-6, 7-6 (4), 10-6 victory.

Though the women’s regular season has finished, the men are not quite there yet. They’ll be in action this Tuesday in Flushing, New York against Baruch College. After that the stage will be set for both the men and women as they prepare for UAA Championship action from April 21-23 in Almonte Springs, Florida.

A version of this article appeared in the April 18 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].