Seniors Headline Track’s Weekend

Via gonyuathletics.com

Senior Becky Turlip placed in the top three for two races.

Rachel Ruecker, Deputy Sports Editor

The NYU track and field team took to the track this Saturday in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania as they participated in the Greyhound Invitational, hosted by Moravian College. Here are the squad’s best finishes.

Women

1.     Senior Becky Turlip ran a stellar 1500-meter, coming in second place at a breezy pace of 4:38.45. She continued her senior season swan song with a third-place finish in the 800-meter with a time of 2:17.36.
  2.     Teammate and fellow senior Sarah Sisk scooted to seventh with a time of 4:45.90 in the 1500-meter.
  3.     The 4×400-meter relay contingent of senior Drew Washington, sophomore Ireland Gibson and freshmen Danielle Murray and Mary Conti executed their best time of the season at 3:58.86 for a third-place finish.
  4.     Washington stormed her way to eighth in the 400-meter race with a time of just under a minute at 58.64. Fellow senior Lydia Guo finished 20th.

Men

1.     The 4×100-meter relay squad comprising of junior Budd Brown, senior Matthew Powers, junior Caleb Su and sophomore Malcolm Montilus secured second place with a time of 42.27.
  2.     Brown ran to a second-place finish in the 200-meter with a time of 21.80. Powers was close behind in third with a time of 21.83.

“This weekend was just about getting some times in,” Powers said. “For a lot of us these were our first individual races of the season and to have the times we put down makes me really optimistic about our conferences next weekend.”

1.     In the 1500-meter contest, NYU had three top-10 finishes, with Nick Karam in fourth, Max Avila in fifth and Karn Setya in eighth.
  2.     Brown finished fifth in the 400-meter as he rounded the track in 48.85 seconds. Fellow Violet Montilus came in 32nd as he completed the round in 51.17.
  3.     Sophomore Sam Praveen finished fourth in the 3000-meter steeplechase as he topped the hurdles in 10:08.75.
  4.  A lot of people had great performances and I think it just sets up what we are capable of doing at UAAs next weekend,” Murray said. “I’m very excited to see what happens at that meet because I think that I’m at place I want to be physically now I just have to run the times.”

The track team is headed to Missouri next weekend for the University Athletic Association Championships against hosts Washington University in St. Louis.

A version of this article appeared in the April 18 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].