Tribeca 2016: ‘All This Panic’ is Heartfelt and Stunning

All+this+Panic%2C+directed+by+Jenny+Gage+premiered+last+week+at+the+Tribeca+Film+Festival%2C+depicts+the+lives+of+seven+teenage+girls%2C+and+explores+what+it+is+like+growing+up+as+an+adolescent+girl.++

“All this Panic”, directed by Jenny Gage premiered last week at the Tribeca Film Festival, depicts the lives of seven teenage girls, and explores what it is like growing up as an adolescent girl.

Sidney Butler, Staff Writer

The fast paced, exciting lives explored in “All this Panic” make growing up in the suburbs seem ridiculously mundane. The documentary, which made its premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival last week, depicts the lives of seven teenage girls as they navigate adolescence in New York City. Husband and wife duo Jenny Gage and cinematographer Tom Betterton dissect youth in a strangely beautiful way, uncovering what it means to be a young woman in this day and age.  

Betterton uses soft focus shots and claustrophobic close-ups to get inside the mind of each subject. As Ginger, 18, lies on her bed, she talks about how she regrets not making close friends in high school and her decision to not attend college — a moment that is so personal, it feels almost intrusive. Instead of the typical high school narratives that poke fun or satirize teenage problems, “Panic” gives in to the chaotic difficulties of high school in an open and naturalistic way.

As Sage, the only black girl portrayed, talks about being a feminist she says, “They see you but they don’t want to hear you.” Feeling disregarded as a voice, Sage makes a valid point on today’s society. As teenagers, no one wants to hear what you have to say and because of this you feel powerless. These girls may be seen as precocious or vapid but they speak very real truths about being young.

Adolescence is so ephemeral that we rarely reflect back on it. Yet these girls remind us of the insecurities of starting college, worrying about crushes and discovering who you truly are. We see Lena, 18, starting freshman year at Sarah Lawrence as she tries to deal with her family’s economic instability, all while trying to secure her first boyfriend. Another character, Olivia, 18, struggles with who she is sexually and eventually begins dating her first girlfriend.

As a director, Gage brings forward an intriguing portrayal of feeling lost. Throughout the film, each girl struggles to find herself through the eyes of everyone around her — whether it’s through pesky parents, aloof high school boys or even the judgment from their “best” friends. Even as these girls think every major problem is the end of the world they slowly realize their place in the scope of things.

“All This Panic” is insightful in the way it fully engages us into the insular world of New York City adolescence. We soon become obsessed with what each girl is going through mentally and emotionally, only hoping for the best possible outcome for each of them. Gage does a brilliant balancing act, giving each subject the perfect amount of screen-time. Each narrative is relatable and engaging in a way that ultimately showcases the diverse perspectives of girlhood.
As a film that came out in the post-“Boyhood” era, it tugs at the heartstrings of nostalgia while keeping in touch with the subject matter of youth. Real in every aspect, this documentary doesn’t try to be something it’s not and is surprisingly genuine at its core.

Email Sidney Butler at [email protected].