You’re Never Too Old for an Ice Cream Cone

Anna Letson

Camille Larkins, Staff Writer

There are dozens of delicious ice cream shops surrounding the NYU campus, and with the weather finally clearing up, students can finally take advantage of them all. Whether you like your cone with a variety of toppings or prefer a popsicle to a single scoop, these locations around campus serve every sweet tooth.

Sundaes and Cones

10th St. between 3rd and 4th Ave.

For classic, inexpensive ice cream in the East Village, Sundaes and Cones is the place to go. They have a wide range of flavors including popular favorites like mint chocolate chip and green tea, and some less common ones like lavender, black sesame and wasabi. There is not much seating inside the store, so go on a warm evening and take a walk with your cone. 

OddFellows

4th St. between Cooper Square and 2nd Ave.

This Greenwich Village spot is known best for its ice cream sandwiches. Their most unique menu item is the “OddPocket,” a customizable sandwich consisting of a brioche bun stuffed with ice cream and warmed on a panini press. OddFellows makes small, fresh batches, which means that their ice cream flavors rotate often, sometimes multiple times a day. Some flavors, like the Raspberry Pink Peppercorn Sorbet and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, taste wild in the best way.

Il Laboratorio del Gelato

Ludlow St. between Houston & Stanton St.

The best thing about this gelateria is its aesthetic — it looks like a laboratory. Visitors can see the process of gelato being made, and the scoops are served in laboratory-like, rectangular containers. Il Laboratorio del Gelato has some of the most unexpected flavors in the city, serving flavors like carrot, licorice, orange hibiscus and pumpkin. It’s a great place for unique sorbet and gelato.

Popbar

Carmine St. between 6th Ave and Minetta Lane

Popbar doesn’t serve ice cream, but rather fruit sorbet and gelato-flavored popsicles which are dipped and sprinkled with many different toppings. With plenty of refreshing, cute and crunchy topping options, this spot is a must-go for nut lovers.

ChikaLicious

10th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave.

This self-proclaimed dessert club is well-known for its crepe cakes, but their attention to detail is what makes ChikaLicious’ ice cream cones so delectable. While they do not have a very wide selection of ice cream flavors, you can order any of them in a churro cone. I repeat: a churro cone. Their flavors change almost every day, and popular flavors include roasted banana ice cream and strawberry sorbet. Also, if you are a fan of matcha, this spot is for you — they have matcha cake, lattes, soft serve and
shaved ice.

I CE NY

Macdougal St. between 3rd and Bleecker St.

If you are looking for the most Instagrammable ice cream in New York, this Greenwich Village shop fits the bill. Their speciality is Thai rolled ice cream, which is assembled in front of the customer. They have many toppings, sauces and flavor choices, which make it a highly personalizable and presentable dessert. Be prepared to wait in line for up to 20-30 minutes at peak times or on nice days, as this spot is tiny
and popular.

A version of this article appeared in the April 25 print edition. Email Camille Larkins at [email protected].