Top 5 News Stories This Spring

By Lexi Faunce, News Writer

As the school year draws to a close, WSN takes a look at some of the most impactful events that took place on campus during the spring semester.

hayden_jakequan1-900x516Jake Quan

Hayden Renamed to Lipton Hall

March 22 — The university officially confirmed that Hayden Residence Hall will be renamed to Lipton Hall this June. The change honors NYU School of Law alumnus Martin Lipton, who now resides as chairman to the Board of Trustees. As the second name change of an NYU institution this academic year, students hope that its dining hall cookies don’t change along with the building’s title.

DSC_6949-900x600Anne Cruz

IEC’s 36-Hour Sit-In at the Kimmel Center

March 25-26 — The Incarceration to Education Coalition occupied the Kimmel Grand Staircase for 36 hours to draw attention to their Ban the Box initiative. The IEC demanded that the university take action to remove the box on its undergraduate Common Application that requests potential students to disclose prior criminal history and disciplinary action. On April 25, the IEC met with President Hamilton to discuss how the movement would move forward — a demand granted during their sit-in. 

news1Hannah Shulman

Taxi Hits Woman Outside Weinstein Hall

April 7 — A woman was struck by a taxi on the sidewalk near the intersection of University Place and 8th Street, just outside of Weinstein Hall. Some witnesses reported that the incident was caused by brake failure, though this was never confirmed. The NYFD was first to arrive on the scene and immediately evacuated the victim.

bernie_annaletson_62Anna Letson

Bernie Sanders Came to Washington Square Park

April 13 — Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders spoke at a rally of more than 27,000 people in Washington Square Park. The Vermont senator was introduced by a variety of celebrities, including a performance by Vampire Weekend. The event followed a voter-registration drive in support of Sanders led by Danny DeVito and Susan Sarandon a few weeks prior. Sanders addressed topics of particular interest to the youthful crowd in preparation for the New York Primary on April 19.

divest1-1-601x900Hannah Shulman

Divest’s Occupation of the Executive Elevator in Bobst Library

April 18 — NYU Divest organizers occupied the administrative elevator in Bobst Library for more than 33 hours. The sit-in was in response to the university’s failure to grant the organization a meeting with the full Board of Trustees, a demand promised to them by former President John Sexton. Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders tweeted a statement of support to the group and their cause midway through the occupation. While 18 students remained overnight in the library, the occupation ended the following afternoon after university administrators informed the students they would face immediate suspension if the protest continued.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, May 1 print edition. Email Lexi Faunce at [email protected]

Lexi Faunce, Investigative Editor
Lexi Faunce is a junior studying journalism and politics, and she will be joining WSN this semester as the Investigative News Editor. She hails from the glamorous town of Gainesville, Florida (also known as Tim Tebow Land). When everyone else is out trying to score Hamilton tickets, you can catch her watching the Gators demolish the...
Hannah Shulman, Editor-at-Large
Hannah is a senior majoring in Metropolitan Studies. She don’t write too good so she takes pictures of anything and everything. When not explaining to you why Houston is the greatest city in the world, you can catch her showing you pictures of her dog, Coco. You can find her on Instagram @nef.jpeg. Also, Houston...
Anne Cruz, Abroad Editor
Anne Cruz is the Abroad Editor for the Washington Square News. She is a junior from Orange County, CA studying journalism and politics and minoring in French. She loves judging couples on HGTV shows for their life choices and rock climbing. She tweets, but mostly to alert the local media about cute dogs.
Anna Letson, Senior Multimedia Editor
Anna Letson is the Multimedia Editor at the Washington Square News. She is a junior in Gallatin and finally ready for you to ask her about her concentration. She loves all sorts of photography, but has a soft spot for analog, and not because it’s hipster (though hailing from Seattle could have something to do...