Where Are You Working Out at NYU?

Tatiana Perez

Palladium is one of many workout facilities that NYU offers to its students.

Ashley Arnold, Staff Writer

As summer winds down and we are headed towards what is sure to be a stressful semester, self-care is an important but oft-forgotten aspect of one’s overall health. Physical fitness is an essential step toward mental and emotional fitness as well. Thankfully, NYU is home to a number of athletic facilities on campus for students to use.

404 Fitness

Centrally located amongst NYU residence halls, this is a new favorite following the closure of Coles. The new 404 Fitness is located a short distance from NYU’s main hub at Washington Square Park. Within the facility are elliptical machines, treadmills and stair steppers as well as a wide selection of  cardio and strength training equipment. The lower floor is home to dance, locker and spin rooms as well as stretch areas.

Palladium Athletic Facility

If you’re looking for a gym that has it all, then Palladium is your place. Palladium is located at East 14th Street, between Third Avenue and Irving Place just off Union Square, making it convenient for upperclassmen that live in the area. One unique feature of Palladium is its separate weight room, which has plate-loaded and selectorized machines as well as free weights. There is also a rock climbing wall that spans two floors. For varsity swimmers and other students alike, Palladium has a deep water pool. The basketball court has six baskets for any half court or full court play. The rest of the gym includes cardio equipment, including stationary bicycles, stair steppers, elliptical trainers and treadmills.

Brooklyn Athletic Facility

For NYU students who call the Brooklyn campus home, this is the ideal location to work out. Located in downtown Brooklyn at Six MetroTech Center, this athletic facility is complete with amenities ranging from treadmills to stationary bikes in the aerobic fitness room, weight training machines and stretching equipment and basketball courts to accommodate for other activities. The Brooklyn Athletic Facility is home to games played by our very own athletes in NYU’s badminton and table tennis clubs and also serves as the practice space for women’s and men’s varsity softball and baseball practices and a few varsity volleyball matches.

Gramercy Green

Gramercy Green, an upperclass residence hall located at 310 Third Avenue, is home to a mini fitness center with just a few machines but no weight room. A major perk of this gym is that it is open 24 hours, allowing students who want to work out late at night to do so.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Sept. 6 print edition. Email Ashley Arnold at [email protected].