Weather Hampers Cross Country

via gonyuathletics.com

The Violets’ Cross Country team took to Poughkeepsie to participate in Vassar College’s Ron Stonitsch Invitational this weekend.

Rachel Ruecker, Sports Editor

The Violets’ cross country team participated in Vassar College’s Ron Stonitsch Invitational in Poughkeepsie this weekend with a number of exciting finishes to start off their season running.

The women launched into their fall season coming eighth of 15. Williams College emerged victorious coming in first overall. Standout performances came from junior Megan Davis, who came in 39th in a field of just under 200. Senior Kassi Chrysanthopoulos was at the front of the pack, but unfortunately, her success was hampered by an injury.

Davis thought the race’s difficulty bodes well for the team moving forward.

“It was definitely a character building race,” Davis said. “The course itself was tough and the hot conditions did not help, but I think the whole team is stronger just from getting through it. We had a lot of girls who did not race this weekend because — as it’s still very early in the season — we are being very cautious about anything that could develop into a serious injury. Once we have those girls back — and the weather cools down just a bit — I think we are going to have a very competitive team with the potential to have a very successful season.”

Freshman Isabella Steains also competed and came a respectable 63rd in her first race for NYU.

The men finished third in a field of 14 behind only Williams College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, who came in first and second, respectively, to show that the Purple Valley Classic hosts will be in the hunt for first in two weeks’ time as well.

Senior standout Jorge Maldonado breezed through the 5k track in just 19:08.01 to come first overall in the race. Other top-20 finishers for NYU include juniors Max Mudd and Neil Saddler, who came in 10th and 18th, respectively, as well as sophomore Matt Osubor, who rounded out the gang for 20th.

Maldonado had lots to say about the team’s season opener.

“I feel like I performed satisfactorily, but I hope to improve as the season progresses,” Maldonaldo said. “As a team, I think we gave a good effort. It’s been a tough week of training, and to be able to come close to teams ranked ahead of us is very showing of the potential we have. As long as we start to train consistently and we keep our team healthy, I see a great future for us.”

The women and men will hit the track next on Sept. 24 at the Purple Valley Classic, hosted by Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept 12 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected]