Volleyball Continues Mini Streak, Dominates Brooklyn College

Rachel Ruecker, Sports Editor

Graphic by Bobby Wagner

Following an exciting bout of weekend games that saw the NYU women’s volleyball team go 3-1, the Violets were back Tuesday against Brooklyn College. They won in a decisive 3-0 win over a desperate Brooklyn team who has yet to pick up a win on the season. They took the sets — all relatively easily — 25-13, 25-14 and a ridiculous 25-2.

The Violets led in every statistical category in impressive fashion. Sophomore outside hitter Annie Singh, junior middle blocker Rayne Ellis and junior outside hitter Jenna Dickey led with eight, seven and four kills, respectively. Compared to the Violets, leaders on the Brooklyn leaderboard had but two each. Overall, NYU out-hit Brooklyn 27-10.

On the passing front, sophomore setter Daryl Mitchell led the way for NYU with 12 assists, doubling the Brooklyn leader, Monineath Pen, who had merely six.

The Violets hit a solid .368 while Brooklyn could only manage a paltry -.055. They also proved to be tough to return, running away with the serving battle by tallying 13 aces to Brooklyn’s three.

Tuesday’s rout moves the team to 6-3 as they move forward to play SUNY Oneonta on Friday. That in-state matchup will kick off a three-game weekend as part of the Stevens Institute Ducks’ Classic.

Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].