Taoray Wang S/S 2017

Ali Webb, Staff Writer

Outside the Taoray Wang Spring/Summer 2017 runway show, the crowd included a few children playing Pokémon Go. Inside, many press and audience members were taking pictures of none other than Tiffany Trump. If these encounters did not give away that Wang Tao was going to present a collection fitting right into the present world, the neutral colors and creative cuts of the looks did. The clothing was classic, making it perfect for a modern, professional woman.

Wang’s collection, Romance in Stripes, was an effort to blend together strength and femininity, as well as Eastern and Western influence inspired by her global background and Taoism’s emphasis on fusing opposites. Lace and silky fabrics blended perfectly with an abundance of stripes and sharp, menswear-inspired cuts. Many of the menswear outfits included flowing, wide-legged pants, which helped to soften the overall look. Hair, by Rodney Cutler for Ulta, was a professional, slicked-back bun, but a little bit of volume and messiness added a relaxed beauty.

This was only Wang’s fifth Fashion Week, so it is impressive that her show was at a larger platform like Skylight Moynihan Station. She has yet to peak and has potential to show some more personality, but the collection’s eclectic inspiration, as well as some pops of color on a couple outfits in the neutral lineup, shows promise. By playing it safe for now while still crafting beautiful creations, Wang can continue to develop a following of a diverse range of determined yet elegant women.

Ali Webb is a Staff Writer. Email her at b[email protected].