Golf Places Third at Weekend Invitational

via gonyuathletics.com

NYU women’s golf competed this past weekend in a tournament at Wellesley College, finishing in third place.

Miguel de Laveaga, Contributing Writer

The NYU women’s golf team took home a third place finish in the Ann S. Batchelder Invitational at the Nehoiden Golf Club, hosted by Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts. The two-day event, held Sept. 17 to Sept. 18, was won by Amherst College. Amherst bested second place Williams College by four strokes (616, 620), with NYU right behind, posting an overall score of 628.

Highlighting the performance for NYU were freshmen Ashley Tsoi and Patty Treevichaphan along with junior Kristin Lee, who all finished tied for sixth with scores of 156. Junior Alyssa Poentis came in close behind the sixth place trio, finished tied for 15th herself.

The Violets came into the weekend off a very solid season opening performance in the St. Lawrence Invitational, where the team took first place. In a tournament that featured NYU posting their second lowest tournament score ever, the Violets had reason to look forward to their next competition. Freshman Arisa Kimura finished first among all competitors, posting an impressive 75. When asked how she was able to adjust to college golf so quickly, she credited her versatility to a mindset she’s managed to adopt.

“I think I’ve just been playing the game I’ve always been playing by not thinking about the change,” Kimura said. “I think about one shot at a time and just enjoy myself out on the course. I try not to apply more pressure on myself by thinking about how college golf is a higher level.”

Kimura kept the same mindset while heading into this weekend’s event, and while she struggled on day one, she was able to shave off a few strokes on Sunday. By focusing on the positives and working off little improvements, Kimura looks forward to next weekend’s event.

“[I] take it one shot at a time and remember that I made it this far by believing in my game,” Kimura said about her attitude for next
weekend’s action.

Another Massachusetts event is on the horizon, as the Violets head back into the Bay State this time to the Mt. Holyoke Invitational. Held at the Orchards Golf Club, this scorable track gives NYU an opportunity to post some low numbers.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Sept. 19 print edition. Email Miguel de Laveaga at [email protected].