NYU Students Aren’t Settling For Walking Everywhere

Camille Larkins, Staff Writer

For my first two years at NYU, I was a walker. I loved walking — it was free, healthy and a good way to get to know the city. And then I got a bike. The 30-minute walk to my summer job turned into a 10-minute bike ride. The blisters on my feet disappeared, although they were replaced by slightly chafed thighs. I would ride to the edges of Manhattan, wind on my face, just because I could. I spent little to no money or time on the subway all summer. My calves and my butt have never looked better. In short, a barely-used bike that I found on Craigslist for less than $100 changed my life.

New Yorkers walk more than residents of any other state, according to recent data from Fitbit. Most NYU students, especially those who live on campus, get to class on foot. Some choose NYU’s transportation options, like the bus system and SafeRide for late nights, or New York City’s mammoth subway system. Other students, however, choose to supplement their commute with alternative forms of transportation, and I took to the street to find them.

unnamed-2

Brandon Lew, Tisch sophomore

Where do you live?

I live in Lafayette.

And do you ride the scooter to class every day?

Not every day. I have before, and it’s very helpful because it shaves off about six minutes from my commute. Since I have an unlimited pass for the metro, I actually just ride it to the metro.

Do you take it into class with you?

I do, yeah. It’s very portable.

What’s the best thing about your scooter?

How fast I can go on it. You can go just as fast on a scooter as on a bike.

What’s the worst part?

The worst part is having to fold it up every time I want to go into a place.

unnamed-3

Gallatin senior Zoe Kennedy (left) and Gallatin junior Shayna Feuer

Where do you guys live?

Kennedy: Brooklyn.

Feuer: I live on 21st Street.

How long is your bike ride to class?

Kennedy: It’s like half an hour. It’s the same as my commute would be if I took the train, and I’m getting exercise and spending time outside.

Yeah. What bridge do you use?

Kennedy: I take the Manhattan Bridge.

What do you think is the worst part about biking?

Kennedy: Um, the pedestrians.

Feuer: Almost getting hit by cars.

Kennedy: Yeah!

Feuer: Like, I’m always almost getting hit by a car. They take up the whole street and the bike lane sometimes.

I always want to yell at people, like, do you know what a bike lane is?

Kennedy: I’m like that too but the other day I got off my bike and I was walking and I just walked through the bike lane and this lady goes “Wake up!” and I’m like, “Oh my god, I just did what I hate!” I almost cried. I had this whole moment, I was like “Zoe, get your shit together man.” I became what I despise for that moment, but she was also being a little extra.

unnamed-4

Alec Battistoni, Tisch sophomore

So, where do you live?

I live in Crown Heights. Very far.

So you don’t skate here?

I skate to the train, then I take the train then I skate from the train to here.

Do you like it?

Yeah, yeah. It’s fast. It’s downhill in the mornings so that’s always good.

What’s the worst part?

The worst thing about it is falling, getting hit by a car.

Has that happened to you?

On my skateboard, no. It’s been close. I flew over my handlebars and hit a car when I was on my bike. It was rough.

That’s a huge fear of mine!

A lot of people are afraid of skateboarding and biking though, and like, yes, it is a possibility, but most New York drivers — there are enough bikers and skateboarders around that they’re looking for you even when you’re not looking for them.

Email Camille Larkins at [email protected].