The Era of Moss is Not Yet Over

Young Kate Moss.

via instagram.com

Young Kate Moss.

Aakash Patel, Contributing Writer

Kate Moss has transformed from a 14-year-old no-name from the London suburbs — discovered 28 years ago at Kennedy International Airport on a family vacation —  into an iconic muse, influencer and designer. She entered the modeling world during the supermodel era of the 1990s with a look, height, body type and attitude that no previous model had. In September, Moss announced the launch of the Kate Moss Agency —  a hybrid of talent management, brand collaborations and uncharted territory for the traditional modeling agency.

Casey Levy, a Gallatin student and model, reflected on the potential impact this agency could have on the industry. She was recently featured in CR Fashion Book as one of 19 new models who will take over the runway this season.

“By today’s standards, it feels impossible to convey the impact of Kate and the ’90s supermodels,” Levy said. “Models just don’t exist in the same capacity as back then. I’m excited to see how the Kate Moss Agency will push boundaries and change the industry just as Kate has herself.”

Moss was part of the tall, curvy, glamazon supermodel squad of the ‘90s that included Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford and Christy Turlington, but had a look and style of her own. Calvin Klein showed her as a gaunt, pale, naked waif with a raw vulnerability that had not been seen before, which created a buzz of controversy. The images were disturbing to many, and the campaign received criticism for promoting anorexia and glamorizing child pornagraphy.

And all of this before the birth of social media. Social media has changed the path for modeling careers and will be a strong part of Moss’s new agency. Moss joined Instagram in September by posting an upcoming Business of Fashion cover featuring herself with the headline “How the World’s Largest Supermodel is Building Her a Business of Her Own.” In previous interviews, Moss has praised models like Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid for their strategic social engagement as part of their modeling business.

“They’ve definitely got another side with it, like the Instagram side, and they know their business, I think,” said Moss in an interview with BOF.

Moss has worked with the best creative talents from the beginning of her career and remains fearless about how she is perceived. She is as fashionable and stylish off the runway as she is on it. It will be exciting to see how Moss creates a new career as an agent for new models and talent. The world will eagerly await the birth of her new stars.

Email Aakash Patel at [email protected].