Survival of the Houseplants

To+give+his+room+some+color%2C+sophomore+Augie+Briger+takes+great+care+of+his+Juniper+Bonsai+tree%2C+which+he+keeps+on+his+windowsill.+

Ryan Quan

To give his room some color, sophomore Augie Briger takes great care of his Juniper Bonsai tree, which he keeps on his windowsill.

Aakash Patel, Contributing Writer

The fast-paced life of an NYU student living in a dorm doesn’t lend itself to having a green thumb. However, there are many low-maintenance houseplants that a stressed, busy student can benefit from. Houseplants can help increase concentration, memory and productivity, all while improving air quality. And the beauty of having a plant that you won’t kill will make you smile.

Succulents are a family of plants with thick, fleshy leaves that trap and hold water, meaning that they do not die easily from sun overexposure or infrequent watering. There are thousands of types of succulents, and most cacti are succulents. Succulents have become enormously popular in the last few years due to their easy care and unique visual qualities. Here’s our roundup of the five best houseplants for your dorm room.

Snake Plant

The snake plant, also known as mother-in-law’s tongue, is one of the easiest succulents to grow. It still does well when it is neglected and can go several weeks without water. It can thrive in both low light and full sun. What’s more, the long, stiff, sword-like leaves make the plant practically indestructible.

Air Plant (Tillandsia)

Air plants are unique in that most don’t require any soil. There is a large variety of them and they can literally survive on only air. A light spray mist once is all it takes to keep them alive and well. They’re so low maintenance, you might even over-water them.

Pincushion Cactus

Pincushion cacti are wonderful because they can flower indoors while remaining very small. They love bright light, so place them near a window. Cacti require very little water and can go without water until the dirt is no longer damp.

Aloe Vera

Aloe vera can live for a long time with little care. This no-fuss plant has narrow leaves with soft teeth at the edge. This plant does tend to like sunlight but can go days at a time without water. In fact, the trickiest part of growing Aloe vera is avoiding over-watering it. An added benefit is that this plant contains a gooey, medicinal gel that helps heal cuts and burns.

Lucky Bamboo

Lucky bamboo, which is actually Dracaena Sanderiana in the lily family, and not in fact bamboo, is very popular since it requires only basic maintenance. Lucky bamboo is visually stimulating and can come in a variety of trendy-looking spiral twists. The great part about caring for lucky bamboo is that it doesn’t require much light. The most important care involved is to change the water every couple of weeks.

Email Aakash Patel at [email protected].