Crime Log: Oct. 6-18

By Sayer Devlin, Jemima McEvoy, and Natasha Roy

The NYU Department of Public Safety received reports of larceny, reports of controlled substance, reports of dating violence, reports of stalking, report of burglary, report of robbery, report of simple assault and report of rape between Oct. 6 and 18.

Larceny

On Oct. 6 at 8:55 p.m. a student reported that at 6 p.m. she had secured her bike to the scaffolding in front of 726 Broadway and at 8:45 p.m. found that her bike was missing. A police report was filed.

On Oct. 7 at 12:25 p.m. a student reported that his iPad 2 that he left on a desk in the LL1 Lounge at Bobst was missing when he returned at 12:20 p.m. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 7 at 8:00 p.m. a student at Lafayette Street Residence Hall reported that $40 and her credit card were missing from her wallet, and her card had been used to make unauthorized purchases. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 7 at 12:00 p.m. a staff member at the Education Building – 35 W. 4th St. reported that he left a plastic bag containing t-shirts and a sign under his desk on Oct. 6, but on Oct. 7 these items were missing. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 10 at 6:31 p.m., a student reported that his wallet was missing from his jacket pocket, which was hanging over the back of his chair on the third floor lounge of the Basic Science Building. A police report was filed.

On Oct. 10 at 8:35 p.m. a student on campus reported that at 1 p.m. she left her bike secured to the Waverly Place bike rack and when she returned at 8:15 p.m. the bike was missing. A police report was filed.

On Oct. 10 at 11:30 a.m., a student reported that $200 was missing from the top of his desk in Alumni Hall, where he had put the money on Sept. 26. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 11 at 9:15 p.m. a student on campus reported that at 12 p.m. he secured his bike to a “No Parking” sign on Washington Pl. between Broadway and Mercer Street and discovered it missing at 9 p.m. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 11 at 12:45 p.m., a student reported that he was missing $80 and his Metrocard from his wallet in Tisch Hall. The wallet was found by another student in the elevator and given to Public Safety. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 12 at 2:25 p.m. a student at reported that at 11 a.m. in Rogers Hall he left his backpack with his wallet inside in the hallway outside of his lab. At 2 p.m. he discovered $120 were missing from his wallet. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 13 at 3:05 p.m. a student in Palladium Residence Hall reported that between Sept. 7 and Oct. 7 various items were missing from her room. A police report was filed.

On Oct. 13 at the Palladium Athletic Center a student reported that the backpack he left in the men’s locker room at 1:15 p.m. was discovered missing at 3:15 p.m. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 14 at 2:45 p.m. a student on campus reported that she left her Macbook on an NYU bus that disembarked at 11:45 a.m. in front of 715 Broadway, and discovered shortly after when she returned to retrieve it that her laptop was missing.

On Oct. 14 at 11:30 p.m., a student on campus reported that he had secured his bike to a bike rack on the north side of the 238 Thompson St. main entrance at 4:40 p.m., and he had discovered it was missing at 11:20 p.m. Police notification was declined.

On Oct. 17 at 11:50 p.m. a student on campus at Tandon reported that he secured his bike to the bike rack in front of the newsstand at 5 MetroTech Center at 10 p.m. At 11:50 he discovered that his bike was missing. Police notification was declined at the time of report.

On Oct. 18 at 11:55 a.m. a patient at the Kriser Dental Center noticed that her wallet was missing. The wallet was found in a garbage with $22-$25 missing. The police were notified.

Trespassing

On Oct. 14 at 6:49 p.m. an administrator reported that a male unaffiliated with NYU attempted to attend a lecture in the Genomics Building. The male was escorted out but attempted to re-enter the building. He was apprehended by Public Safety.

Controlled Substance

On Oct. 10 at 12:08 a.m. Public Safety responded to a report at Third Avenue North Residence Hall of an alleged controlled substance and found a small amount of marijuana.

On Oct. 10 at 1:00 a.m. Public Safety responded to a report of an illegal substance in Founders Hall. They recovered a small amount of marijuana.

Rape

On Oct. 12 at 2:30 p.m. a student reported that she was sexually assaulted by an NYU student in Founders Residence Hall during the fall of 2014.

Harassment
On Oct. 6 at 11:32 p.m., a student reported that an unknown male verbally harassed her on West Third Street near Lipton Residence Hall. A police report was filed.

On Oct. 8 at 5 a.m., a student reported that his ex-girlfriend, who is an NYU student, would not leave his room at Alumni Hall. Police notification was declined.

A version of this article appeared in Monday, Oct. 24 print edition. Email Sayer Devlin, Jemima McEvoy and Natasha Roy at [email protected]

About the Writers
Sayer Devlin, Managing Editor
Sayer Devlin is the Managing Editor for the Washington Square News. He’s an economics major in the College of Arts and Science. He was born in Tokyo, has lived in Paris, London and New York and when he’s not pretending to work, Sayer is spending too much time paying attention to sports, politics and Twitter.
Jemima McEvoy, Editor-in-Chief
Jemima McEvoy is the Editor-in-Chief for the Washington Square News, as well as a sophomore studying something to do with politics and law in CAS. She’s originally from England, but has been desperately trying to hold on to her accent for the past few years that she has spent living in the USA. During the...
Natasha Roy, Managing Editor-at-Large
Natasha is a CAS sophomore studying journalism and public policy, and she’s an editor-at-large at WSN this semester. Originally from a small town outside Dallas, Texas, she moved to an even smaller town outside Atlanta, Georgia when she was nine (and she’ll absolutely force country music on you if you give her an inch). She’s...