Soccer Trounces York College in Brooklyn

Via gonyuathletics.com

During their match against Maritime, freshman Owen Smith scored the second goal, securing the game’ final score at 10-0.

Ben Goodkin, Contributing Writer

It was an exciting Sunday afternoon in Brooklyn for the NYU men’s soccer team as it traveled to Flatbush to take on the Cardinals from York College.

The Violets got off to a dominant start with three goals in the first ten minutes. Senior Bryan Walsh opened the scoring with an eighth minute goal off an assist from Captain Petter Aasa. Sophomore Robert Shellow doubled the Violets’ lead just one minute later, and Walsh recorded his second goal off a rebound in the 10th minute of play. Goals from sophomore Simone Kanter and senior Michael Cheaney extended the NYU lead to 5-0 with just minutes to play in the first half.

The halftime break did not slow down the Violets, who continued to dominate. Sophomore midfielder David Victor extended the lead to six goals, converting a penalty kick just one minute into the half. Sophomore Evan Reifsnyder scored his second goal of the season in the 49th minute. Six minutes later, freshman forward Drew Enyedi tapped in a beautiful cross from junior Greg Suter for NYU’s eighth goal of the game. The next 20 minutes saw the Cardinals record their one shot of the game and hold off NYU’s attack. However, the Violets were just too strong and added to the lead in the 72nd minute with freshman Julian Montilus scoring his first career goal with a chip shot over the keeper. Drew Enyedi added another in the 78th minute securing NYU’s 10-0 victory.

NYU completely out-classed the Cardinals with a 42-2 shot advantage, forcing York’s goalkeeper to make a dozen challenging saves while putting 10 past him. NYU’s goalkeepers senior Lucas Doucette and sophomore Grant Engel weren’t forced to make any saves and recorded a clean sheet. NYU also recorded four more corner kicks than the Cardinals and drew and converted a penalty kick. The win moves the Violets record to 7-6-2 on the season.

Junior defender Gregory Suter was excited after the dominating victory, “Today was a nice way to cap off our non-conference play and served as a nice tune up for our games the next two weekends,” Suter said, “It was nice to see Michael Cheaney get his first career goal.”

The Violets look to build off Sunday’s dominant performance as they resume UAA play at Gaelic Park next weekend, hosting the University of Rochester on Friday and Emory University on Sunday afternoon.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 24 print edition. Email Ben Goodkin at [email protected].