Five Tips To Warm Up Your Wardrobe

Veronica Liow

Layering a sweater with a sleeveless dress will keep you both fashionable and warm during the New York City fall.

Paola Bakker, Contributing Writer

Anxious about having to part from your summer wardrobe so soon? You might have a chance to take your clothes out for a final spin this fall before the arrival of North Face jackets and Hunter boots that heralds winter. Here are some ways to merge your summer and fall clothes and style the staple summer dress for the fall season in a way that is both cute and weather-appropriate.

Layer it over a turtleneck, blouse or T-shirt
For any sleeveless dress, simply add a layer of warmth by wearing a top underneath. Pretty much anything can work, from a long-sleeve turtleneck on chilly nights to a plain white tee on warmer days. If you want to class up an outfit, try a classic button-down or chiffon blouse beneath the dress. If you want to be especially bold, try mixing and matching different prints, colors and textures to create a juxtaposition between the dress and top.

Glam it up with a (faux) fur coat
Nothing says instant drama quite like a fur coat on top of your favorite dress. Play the outfit up with a vibrant and colorful fur, or keep it soft yet sophisticated with a muted brown or plush white. Leopard and cheetah print are also making a huge comeback this fall and winter. Pair with a slip dress for maximum diva status. In conclusion, fur coat equals automatic toastiness and glamour.

Pair it with thigh high boots
Warm up your legs without going down the obvious route of tights by opting for a pair of thigh high boots instead. There are many directions you can take with thigh highs: suede or leather, black or tan, matte or glossy, heels or flats. Whatever style you choose, they instantaneously make an outfit more alluring while still showing minimal skin.

Style it with trousers
A little bit more daring than thigh high boots, but even more leg warmth! This is a cringe-worthy trend reminiscent of the early 2000s when stars like Ashley Tisdale and Jessica Alba coupled oversized flare jeans with a halter dress on top. However, when this trend is done right, it looks amazing. Underneath your dress, try a pair of wide-legged trousers or jeans with a detail on the hem, such as distressing or tassels.

Add a fun sweater
If you have a midi or maxi dress, think about layering a long and oversized sweater on top of it, leaving the remaining fabric of the dress to hang beneath. Alternatively, add a chunky cardigan atop a slinky dress to give it a more casual feel.

Email Paola Bakker at [email protected].