Hockey Fails to Uphold Streak

After their season long winning streak, the Violet’s lost to William Paterson University on Saturday.

Brendan Gutenschwager

Brendan Gutenschwager

Rachel Ruecker, Sports Editor

After a storybook start to the season, NYU’s win streak came to a screeching halt Saturday night against William Paterson University as they dropped a game to their cross-state foes 6-2. They then took on Providence College back at Chelsea Piers on Sunday, winning 3-1.

WPU never let up Saturday night at the Ice Vault in Wayne, New Jersey, beginning at 5:02 when they opened the scoring on freshman goaltender Patrick Cavanaugh, who was the NYU backstopper of the night. NYU got sent to the box shortly after and eked out the kill to prevent them from getting into a deeper hole. Sophomore forward Keaton Baum, who was the previously penalized player, redeemed himself at 10:09, tying the game at one. The first period ended in this knot, with WPU narrowly outshooting the Violets 11-10.

A slough of penalties added some color the the second’s start with some 4-on-4 and 4-on-3 action. After all those getting killed by their respective parties, WPU got their go ahead goal at 9:50. NYU was quick to answer, with sophomore defenseman Connor Finocchio seeing Will Pat’s two
at 10:34.

Unfortunately, NYU’s strong penalty kill faded away after that, causing the Violet’s undoing. The Pioneers scored a late second period power play goal, going up 3-2. Through two, the teams were at an even 22 shots on goal each.

WPU got their fourth under a minute in, and when the Violets got another penalty 21 seconds later, WPU was quick to get their fifth.

Junior goaltender Jack Nebe got swapped in and had to be exemplary through a Pioneer 5-on-3. They managed to get through that unscathed, but WPU upped their total to six. The rest of the game was a messy affair, with both teams in and out of the box, but the final score stayed at 6-2.

Sunday, back in Manhattan, NYU hoped to restore their winning ways. They quickly found themselves in familiar territory on the kill just 41 seconds in, but they recovered and later scored on their own man-advantage, as sophomore forward Jack Orne opened the scoring at 16:49. And with under a minute left, freshman defenseman Matthew Banks doubled the NYU lead heading into the second. Not much happened there, as NYU sustained its lead into period number three.

The Violets were quick to build on their lead in the third, with junior forward Michael Conslato getting NYU’s third at 1:17. The shutout didn’t last for junior goaltender Calvin Burkhart as Providence scored a power play goal at 14:15 but they kept the win intact and moved to 7-1 on the season.

Orne commented on the lessons the Violets took from their Saturday game to give them success on Sunday.

“I think everyone was pretty unhappy with our performance the night before so we just wanted to bounce back and try to finish the weekend on a positive note,” Orne said. “We started off a little slow again today but I think by the end of the game we were starting to get in a good rhythm again which was good to see.”

The team will be at home again Friday, Nov. 4 at Chelsea Piers to take on Northeastern University at 8:30 p.m.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 31 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected]