Even Though It’s Ending, We Won’t Stop Doing It For the Vine

The+death+of+Vine+brings+tears+to+many%2C+from+users+to+audience+members+alike.+

via wikimedia.org

The death of Vine brings tears to many, from users to audience members alike.

Camille Larkins, Staff Writer

Vine was killed just shy of its fourth birthday. Its existence basically confirmed every baby-boomer’s lamentations about millennials’ short attention spans and how we’re always on our damn phones. It also provided a platform for diverse, authentic young people to create hilarious content. The looping video platform challenged users with its restrictive time limit, but great Viners immediately showed just how much they could do in six seconds.

The language and trends created on Vine were often picked up by non-users, showing just how much influence the app (and its users) had over pop culture for the past three years. Trends that started on Vine, like “or nah” and “hoe don’t do it,” were suddenly commonplace, and your aunt who thinks that everything is “on fleek” probably has no idea that the term comes from Viner Peaches Monroee.

Usage of the app, however, has greatly declined as of late, and it comes as no surprise that Twitter is ending its services. The app’s days are numbered, but thankfully we will continue to be able to watch the 40 million Vines that exist already. Take a moment of silence before watching some of the best, funniest and most influential Vines below.

I’m In Me Mum’s Car

British teen Trish Simmonds’ Vine was quickly remixed and remade by others. A wholesome classic for the whole family to enjoy.

A Potato Flew Around My Room

On Fleek

Peaches Monroee, or Kayla Newman, changed the nation with this Vine. Soon, “on fleek” was applied to everything from Cara Delevingne’s eyebrows to IHOP’s pancakes — and some think she should be compensated accordingly.

Dancing Shiba Inu

Who Is She?

When ur twin messes up your vape tornado

A nod to NYU Class of 2019 student Packie.

Why You Always Lyin’?

Mmmmohmygod — this video turned into one of the biggest memes of 2015.

I Smell Like Beef

Back At It Again At Krispy Kreme

Indie Girl Singer Introduces Us to Her Kitchen

We have bananis….

Vine, you will forever be in our hearts. We’ll never stop doing it for the Vine.

Email Camille Larkins at [email protected].