Basketball Continues Early Surge

Via gonyuathletics.com

NYU took 75 points to Baruch’s 43 in the women’s basketball, with Amy Harioka leading the offence.

Michael Thompson, Staff Writer

It wasn’t easy, but the NYU basketball team remained unbeaten this weekend. The women’s team defended its home court and improved to 3-0, defeating Baruch College and the University of Massachusetts-Boston. Meanwhile, the men opened the season with two wins at the Rose City Classic against Marywood University and Drew University in New Jersey.

Baruch was no match for NYU’s surging women’s squad. The Violets blew them out 75-43. The Violets bookended dominant second and third quarters — in which they outscored Baruch 44-19 — with relatively right first and fourth quarters. After struggling from the field earlier in the week, the Violets inched a little closer to efficiency, shooting 39 percent from the field. Senior guard Amy Harioka took charge for the Violets, scoring 17 points on 6-17 shooting. Junior forward Kayla Patterson added 10 points, and freshman forward Lauren Brown grabbed 10 rebounds.

The Violets didn’t have it as easy against UMass, but after three even quarters, the Violets outscored their opponents by 10 points in the fourth quarter en route to a 79-68 win. The Violets were again solid from the field, shooting nearly 40 percent but just 11 percent from three-point range. However, the team’s defense — a major focus this season — finished the game with a whopping 22 steals. Senior guard Kaitlyn Read bounced back with 18 points and nine rebounds.

Starting the season on the road like its counterparts, the men’s team delivered, taking down Marywood 78-71 and Drew 84-78. The Violets came out hot in their first half of the season, outscoring Marywood 36-24, which softened the blow of a more competitive second half. Though Marywood was more efficient on the field, the Violets were stellar from behind the arc, shooting 13-29. Junior guard Ross Udine got his season off to a thrilling start with 20 points and nine assists, while senior guard Joe Timmes dropped 25 points.

It was the tale of two halves against Drew, but an explosive 54-point second half was enough for the Violets to squeak by with an 84-78 win. Tied at 67 with two minutes remaining, NYU went on a 7-0 run to help put the final nail in the coffin. Udine dropped another 20 points, while freshmen forwards Jimmy Martinelli and Nick Medavoy each had a double-double. The Violets shot an impressive 42 percent from the field. Udine was pleased to pick up where he left off last season.

“It was great to get back out there and pick up two quality wins,” Udine said. “Couldn’t ask for a better start for myself or the team, and I’m excited for what’s to come.”

Both teams have to play once more before they can dig into their turkey and mashed potatoes. The men travel uptown to face John Jay College on Tuesday, while the women have the onerous task of traveling to Riverdale, NY on Wednesday to take on the College of Mount Saint Vincent.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 21 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].