French Citizens Stand in Solidarity Against Trump

Anne Cruz, Abroad Editor

• Americans and French citizens rallied near Paris’ Eiffel Tower Saturday, protesting president-elect Donald Trump.

• Police hold protesters back near the end of Saturday’s Anti-Trump march.

• Protesters wait for streets to be cleared of traffic before proceeding.

• Americans and French nationals rallied together against U.S. President-elect Donald Trump in Paris on Saturday afternoon.

• A protester carries an illustrated sign during anti-Trump protest in Paris, France.

• A woman throws her hand up during chants of “hands up, don’t shoot.”

• The front of the group marches ahead onto Pont Iena.

• A protester advises French spectators to not vote for Marine Le Pen, the leader of the National Front, France’s extreme-right party. Le Pen has previously campaigned on anti-immigration, nationalistic platforms similar to Trump’s.

• Anti-Trump protesters pose for journalists and photographers in front of the Eiffel Tower.

• A protester leads chants while another holds a sign condemning white supremacy..

• The Eiffel Tower looms over marchers as they head toward Pont d’Iena.

• Man holds up a more mild-mannered sign during Saturday’s anti-Trump rally in Paris, France.

• Protesters chanted in both English and French, and often yelled “Black Lives Matter” and “Muslim Lives Matter.”

• Protests, or manifestations in French, are very frequent in Paris. But very few are allowed by police to congregate near Paris’ most recognizable landmark.

• A protester raises her anti-Trump sign near the Eiffel Tower during a rally on Saturday.

• Protesters were allowed to march through paris of Paris’ seventh arrondissement, near the iconic Eiffel Tower.

• Many signs like this one made reference to the 2005 Access Hollywood tape, in which Trump bragged about sexually assaulting women.

• Protester holds a sign saying “Say no to racism, misogyny, sectarianism, hate [and] climate change denial.”

Hundreds of Americans and French citizens took to the streets in Paris’s 7th arrondissement on Saturday to protest the election of Donald Trump as president of the United States.

Many protesters brought their own signs, and others were handed signs by volunteers when they arrived at the march’s staging area. Some signs referenced the 2005 “Access Hollywood” interview in which Trump said his fame allowed him to grab women by their genitalia without consequences. Women have since alleged that Trump sexually assaulted them.

Protesters marched toward the Eiffel Tower with a banner reading “Paris against Trump,” chanting phrases such as “We reject the president-elect” and “Trump, Pence, makes no sense.” The group would occasionally chant in French, expressing solidarity with refugees and condemning the anti-immigrant rhetoric that has been present recently in both American and French politics.

During the march, protesters acknowledged the rights of immigrants, Muslims, black American and French citizens, women and LGBTQ individuals. These communities could face oppression not only in the U.S. under a Trump presidency, but also in France with the rise of the National Front, the country’s extreme-right wing party. Few signs or cheers made reference to French politics, but those that did denounced Marine Le Pen, the National Front’s candidate in the 2017 presidential race.

However, Saturday’s message was overwhelmingly one of solidarity with Americans in the U.S. who have been protesting the election’s results. Marchers draped American flags over their shoulders and ended the rally by singing “This Land is Your Land,” repeating the line “This land was made for you and me.”

Email Anne Cruz at [email protected].