Women’s Basketball Stays on the Ball

Via gonyuathletics.com

Kaitlyn Read was NYU’s top scorer in its victory against New Paltz on Tuesday.

Michael Thompson, Staff Writer

The NYU women’s basketball team used efficient offense and high-percentage shooting for their second straight game to earn them a win over SUNY New Paltz 70-60 at the Hunter Sportsplex on Tuesday. The victory improves the team to 6-0 on the season, with each win coming by a double-digit margin.

Senior forward Lindsey Oldshue opened up the Violets scoring with a three-pointer 13 seconds into the game, setting the stage for a solid 7-15 performance from behind the arc. New Paltz rarely led, taking a 14-8 advantage in the first quarter and 29-23 in the second. However, in what has become a recurring theme this season, the Violets remained in firm control of the game, stifling any attempted runs by their opponent. The Violets made numerous runs throughout the game, eventually leading by 11 points at the start of the third quarter. New Paltz cut the lead to two with six minutes remaining in the fourth, but were stymied by six straight Violets points.

Senior guard Kaitlyn Read had the hot hand for the Violets on the night. Averaging 13.8 points entering Tuesday, Read looked true to form against New Paltz, scoring 22 points on 7-16 shooting in addition to 14 rebounds. Read, whose eight assists put her two shy of a triple double. was two assists shy of recording a triple double, credited a strong start by the team for the success.

“Today we were so efficient offensively because we were able to control the pace, starting with our defense,” Read said. “We’re best when we push the ball in transition and we were able to do that today.”

Freshman guard Shaye McGoey and senior guard Amy Harioka also finished in double digits, combining for 21 points. The Violets bench did its part, with 27 points compared to just 14 from New Paltz. However, the play wasn’t always fluid, with 40 combined turnovers between the two teams.

“Focusing on Brooklyn, we’ve got to control the boards more so that they don’t get any second chance opportunities,” Read said.

With a hot hand and the chance to soon enter the NCAA Top-25, the Violets play the second leg of their three-game homestand Thursday against unbeaten Brooklyn College at the Hunter Sportsplex.

Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].