View Now: Art Around Campus

Photo by Natalie Whalen

Duane Linklater’s work is on display at 80WSE, in the gallery’s “From Our Hands” exhibition.

Natalie Whalen, Entertainment Editor

Too lazy to hike all the way uptown to the Museum of Modern Art for your dose of culture, but still want to check out the latest galleries? Just look around campus to find some unique opportunities to view art by professionals and students alike — no subways required!

Duane Linklater “From Our Hands”

Indigenous Canadian artist Duane Linklater incorporates the works of both his paternal grandmother Ethel and 12-year-old son Tobias in his current installation at the NYU 80 Washington Square East Galleries. Linklater explores the bonds between himself and his multi-generational relatives, who identify as a part of Omaskêko Cree from Moose Cree First Nation in Northern Ontario, through his use of architectural structures in contrast with his late grandmother’s fur trappings and his son’s Claymation project. In collaboration with Mercer Union Toronto, the exhibit will remain on view through Feb. 18.

80WSE is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is free to the public.

“Performing Fashion: New York City”

Exploring performative aspects of individual fashion in relation to New York City, the Project Space at 80WSE features niche objects from distinctive subcultures relating to performative dress. “Performing Fashion: New York City” will remain on view through Feb. 2. There will also be a panel discussion on Jan. 30 hosted by the curators with “performers of fashion from the worlds of art, music, burlesque and design” from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

“Inventing Downtown: Artist-Run Galleries in New York City”

NYU Steinhardt faculty member Melissa Rachleff-Burtt’s curated exhibition, in conjunction with NYU’s Grey Art Gallery, features works from the New York City art scene from 1952 through 1965. This period covers transitions from Abstract Expressionism movement to Pop Art and Minimalism from the likes of Mark di Suvero, Jim Dine, Red Grooms, Allan Kaprow, Alex Katz, Yaoi Kusama, Claes Oldenburg and Yoko Ono. The exhibit will remain on view through April 1.

The Grey Art Gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday and admission is free with your NYU ID. There is a suggested donation of $3 for non-affiliated guests.

“CAVE(S)”

The Broadway Windows at the corner of Broadway and East 10th Street. are currently home to an exhibition by NYU MFA student Jerry J. Adams, whose work “CAVE(S)” focuses on “the expression of memory, fragility of the human experience and possible future spaces that the human mind may inhabit, ultimately questioning the parameters of freewill.”  Adams’ work will remain on view 24/7 through Jan. 29.

“VESTIGE(S)”

The Barney Building’s The Commons gallery is also set to debut a new exhibit on Jan. 25, curated by Desiree Mitton and Lisa Orcutt.  It will feature the work of NYU student artists Sarah Allwine, Emma Benschop, Bianca Kann, Cooper Lovano, Clara Lu, Jackie Monoson, Christine Sersea, Beverly Terry, Joshua Toor and Ben Wolf, and will remain on view through Feb. 11.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 23 print edition. 

Email Natalie Whalen at [email protected]