Ricardo Seco F/W 2017

Polina Buchak and Julia Saliba

By Gabriella Bower, Editor-at-Large

Ricardo Seco Fall/Winter 2017 - a collection that speaks louder than words

Following President Donald Trump’s executive order that restricts immigration from seven Muslim countries, suspends all refugee admission for 120 days and bars all Syrian refugees indefinitely, many are speaking out against these actions — the fashion industry among them. Ricardo Seco showcased a very timely collection for Fall/Winter 2017 titled “Juntos/Together” in support of immigrants. His main inspiration pulled from both the Mexican flag — where Seco was born — and the American flag, the country in which he currently resides.

In season’s past the designer has always pulled inspiration from his Mexican roots and once again Seco seamlessly integrates modern edge and impeccable structuring. This collection can best be described as athleisure with a cause. Sweatsuits in red, black and white with a stripe or two lining the sides were found throughout the collection on both men and women.

The collection featured pieces like an embroidered sweater with the coat of arms found on the Mexican flag as well as t-shirts and sweatshirts with immigrant rally cries such as “Tear Down This Wall. Make America Great Again” and “Juntos, Basta Ya!”  

The standout piece was a knee-length coat in green, white and red with the Mexican coat of arms embroidered in gold in the center, sartorially embodying the Mexican flag. On the green and red stripes read “Proud Immigrant.”

The collection pulled its greatest inspiration from unity, according to the presentation handout. More specifically, “the strength found in union.” We will surely see Seco’s fashionable clothes in marches and rallies in the future as we come together to defend our democracy. Fashion is here to make its voice heard and help you make yours heard as well.

Polina Buchak, Senior Multimedia Editor
Polina Buchak is the Senior Multimedia Editor at the Washington Square News. She is in Tandon and Tisch, following her passion in Filmmaking and Integrated Design Media. Born in Ukraine, raised in Nigeria, and educated in United Kingdom, she will never be able to answer exactly where she is from. If you are looking for...