Son Jung Wan F/W 2017

Carson Kessler, Staff Writer

Inspired by the fashion of the infamous 1980s, the Son Jung Wan Fall/Winter 2017  collection rewound time as the models donned bold, layered looks and turquoise eye shadow, striding down the runway to George Michael’s “Faith” and Prince’s “Raspberry Beret.”

The collection toyed with dramatic materials and textures, mixing and matching soft velvets with chunky wool and fur detailing. The experimentation continued as metallic embroidery adorned a few looks in the collection. By mixing opposing fabrics and playing with dramatic colors like cherry red and punch pink, the collection exuded a sense of confidence and freedom.

Ensuring a focus on the active nature of the collection, hair was slicked back into knotted braids, and turquoise wings decorated all of the models’ eyelids.  Blue-green accents snuck their way into every look of the collection, whether in the form of eye shadow or colored fur details.

Although the Son Jung Wan F/W 2017 collection flirts with 1980s fashion, the collection still managed to maintain a modern, chic style through the creative intersection of the bold layering of the ‘80s with the 21st century’s sense of freedom and the willingness to showcase what is different.

Email Carson Kessler at [email protected].