Get Kissable Lips for Valentine’s

Kevin Jiang

For Valentine’s Day — or really any day ­­­— get soft, smooth lips by exfoliating, moisturizing and using a lip mask.

Thomas Chou, Contributing Writer

If cards and chocolate are your way of expressing love for someone, go for it! But if you’re broke this Valentine’s Day, we’ve got the solution for you. What’s the best Valentine’s day gift? A kiss! With kisses coming from left and right, don’t let yourself get caught with anything less than amazing, kissable lips.

If you’re wondering how to get the perfect lips by Valentine’s Day without plastic surgery, here are three fool-proof tips for juicy, voluptuous lips and an amazing Valentine’s Day kiss.

Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate

If your lips are chapped or dry from the blustery winter weather, exfoliation is a simple solution. Whether it’s a lip scrub from your favorite brand or a DIY sugar and olive oil scrub at home, don’t skip this step. The Jeffree Star Velour Lip Scrub and the Bubblegum Lip Scrub from Lush are both fantastic exfoliants. Not only are they vegan and cruelty-free, but they also smell amazing and are edible! Another easy way to exfoliate is with a toothbrush, by brushing your lips gently in a circular motion. This not only keeps your lips smooth but also gives them a quick plumping effect.

Moisturize

Another important tip for protecting your lips is to moisturize them. Make it part of your routine and to moisturize your lips when you moisturize your face — don’t forget, your lips are skin too! Try “Hope In A Stick” by Philosophy as a lip balm, although any good quality balm with moisture-rich ingredients should work just fine. It’s important to lock in that moisture to keep your lips protected throughout the day.

Lip Masks

Lastly, you’ve probably seen the lip mask trend all over Instagram, and you should definitely try it out. Lip masks might not be as popular as face masks, but from snail secretion masks to 24-karat gold masks, they’re definitely fun to use. Korean brands like TONY MOLY and Etude House have the most variety. Have a spa night in and try them with your friends.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 13 print edition. Email Thomas Chou at [email protected].