Memere F/W 2017

Han Amber Wang and Julia Saliba

Sophie Shaw, Beauty & Style Editor

Romanticism reigned at Memere’s Fall/Winter 2017 presentation. Named after designer Sarah Julia LeBlanc’s grandmother, Memere carried an antique quality throughout the fresh and youthful collection. The prominence of lace and silk in pink nudes and dainty black conjured up a sense of preciousness one may attribute to a family heirloom.

The dozens of white, long-stemmed roses strewn on the floor of the event space in Pier 59 Studios created a sweet scene for the dewy-faced models standing on small platforms. In a secret garden of sorts, the collection looked ethereal — sheer laces and tulle on dresses and tops were dreamy and light, giving the impression that the clothes caress the body.

With silhouettes adapted from ‘20s style flapper dresses — drop waists with frilly ruffles instead of fringe — the focus on femininity and form was apparent. Even though the dresses were predominantly lacey, there was still a pleasant range of variety. A few dresses had lace overlays, while others had ruffles on the bust or skirt. One particularly pretty dress was a satin nude number with spaghetti straps, a delicate bow at the low neckline, two ruffles running lengthwise from the hips and a scarf hemline.

Separates were also successful in the collection. A blush pink monochrome look consisting of a sheer lace button down layered under a bow adorned bustier, and paired with high waisted, pleated ankle pants with ruffled hems was feminine, yet not too girlish.

The F/W 2017 collection showed that LeBlanc consistently creates lovely clothes that are delicate and demure, ready for la vie en rose.

Email Sophie Shaw at [email protected].