Broome Street

Faith Gates, Deputy Features Editor

Residency: Upperclassmen
Estimated yearly cost: $13,048 – $18,494
Low-cost rooms available: No
Commute to class: 15-20 minute walk to WSP, 20-25 minute subway ride to Tandon
Nearby subways: N, Q, J, 6
Shuttle: Yes

Named after the street it resides on, Broome Street Residential College is close enough to smell the pizza in Little Italy while also near the trendy shops in SoHo. But for those who simply need a midnight snack or coffee fill, there are plenty of nearby options. Taasha Deli, a 24-hour store, sits directly next to Broome, and looking just a few steps further, the highly Instagrammable coffee shop Happy Bones and salad chain Sweetgreen provide satisfying options for any appetite.

Broome offers apartment-style rooms, and students have the option of a shared room or a private room in a suite. The suites offer a kitchen, two bathrooms and a common area with couches. Within the building, almost every floor is equipped with a laundry room, and there are spacious lounges throughout the building.

It has an upscale yet simplistic, old-school look, which creates a vibrant community — fitting, since Broome is home to the residential college. This program is designed to bring students closer to each other, the faculty and the neighborhood. The college facilitates events inside and outside the building to mingle residents and ensure they know their surroundings.

Broome is ideal for independent upperclassmen looking to immerse themselves in the city while still actively participating in the NYU community. The slightly longer walk to campus lets students see a bit of the city every single day and gives residents more resources to engage with outside the university.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.