Trip on This ‘Sweet Disaster’

Gilchrist Green, Music Editor

To sum up DREAMERS’ new music video for its track “Sweet Disaster” in a sentence: two dudes having a hallucinogenic lightsaber fight with a pair of floppy Slim Jims. The music is building and nostalgic, and the visuals are definitely something to trip out on.

Headed by frontman and Steinhardt alum Nick Wold, DREAMERS is a trio working its way up in the alternative rock world after the August 2016 release of its deput LP “This Album Does Not Exist.” The song “Sweet Disaster” is currently in the top 22 on Billboard’s Alternative Charts. With music that combines rock vibes with electronic, bassy synths in a way that is less face-melting and more mind-melding, DREAMERS doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

The video begins in calm black and white, opening with a lazy night shift at a convenience store. The lyrics pay tribute to the greats — the Rolling Stones and the Ramones — and the melody is fittingly dreamy, leading to a poppy chorus. But when Wold, dressed up as a pigtailed, brace-faced little girl, breaks the slushie machine, the scenes explode into color and take a psychedelic turn for the strange. Suddenly the video is bursting with eggs with faces, bubbles, confetti, Star Wars-inspired force lasers and a crow-faced cop.

If this video’s visuals show anything, it’s that the band members have swallowed a drug or two — or maybe the three are just a band of dreamers.

Catch DREAMERS at the Bowery Ballroom with the Griswolds this Tuesday, Feb. 28.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 27 print edition. 

Email Gilchrist Green at [email protected]