Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Coffee

Kevin Jiang

Joe Coffee on 8th Street. Coffee can be a lifesaver to a student, especially during midterm season. Here are a few great coffee shops on campus that can substitute for the usual Starbucks.

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor

Many college students turn to coffee as a liquid life-line when balancing classes with extra-curriculars and the go-to drink becomes a necessity when trying to get out of bed on a cold New York morning. It is a necessity to have a coffee shop near your dorm because it makes life easier. Here’s a list of the best coffee shops near each dorm.

U-Hall, Third North and Coral Towers

Madman Espresso, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m; Saturday-Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Address: 319 E. 14th St.

With their rustic-chic interior and friendly barista, Madman Espresso is a great place to get a cup of coffee, meet up with friends or study. They pride themselves on making sophisticated, high-class coffee for the common man. With signature drinks like “Madmancino” — chai, dark chocolate and cinnamon — Madman Espresso is a must-try.

Palladium

Bluestone Lane, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Address: 51 Astor Pl.

Bluestone Lane has great food, great coffee and a great environment. It is a nice place to study, with its well-lit interior and many seating options. Some of their special drinks are the Beetroot Latte, which mixes beetroot powder and steamed almond milk;  and the Aussie Iced Latte, consisting of a double shot of espresso poured over milk and ice cream.

Carlyle and 13th Street

Le Cafe Coffee, Hours: Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m; Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Address: 7 E. 14th St.

Le Cafe puts emphasizes on using organic coffee and fresh ingredients. They also offer delicious sandwiches. Their lavender latte and dulce de leche lattes are very popular among the cafe’s customers. Although it has limited seating, Le Cafe Coffee is worth a visit.

Gramercy

Irving Farm Coffee Roasters, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Address: 71 Irving Pl.

Irving Farm Coffee Roasters hopes to provide a space where people can gather and drink great coffee. With speciality sandwiches, salads and most importantly, coffee, this cafe is a great location to enjoy a classic cup of coffee and relax.

Founders Hall, Alumni Hall and Brittany Hall

Everyman Espresso, Hours: Monday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Tuesday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Address: 136 E. 13th St.

Voted the best coffee shop in the nation by the Daily Meal, this coffee shop prioritizes creating a friendly environment where people can socialize and enjoy their drinks. They offer delicious and energizing drip coffee, mochas and lattes. They also have a small selection of baked goods and pastries.

Greenhouse

Abraço, Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Address: 86 E. Seventh St.

The owners of Abraço state that their shop vibrates the radiancy of the music that inspired their name. The music they play ranges from the Beatles to 10cc, all songs that feel like a sweet, warm hug — hence the name Abraço, which means hug in Portuguese—This coffee shop draws on Spanish, Italian and Middle Eastern traditions with their drinks and their espresso drinks made from house-roasted beans are delicious.

Weinstein Hall, Goddard Hall and Rubin Hall      

Third Rail Coffee, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.- 8 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday. 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Address: 240 Sullivan St.

Although it has limited seating Third Rail Coffee is a great shop to visit. Their high-quality espresso drinks are worth their $4 price tag. Their most popular drink is the Cortado, which is half espresso, half steamed milk and full on delicious.                                         

Lipton Hall

Stumptown, Hours: Everyday, 7a.m. to 8p.m., Address: 30 W. Eighth St.

Though it is impossible to find an empty table to study at, Stumptown’s interior with interesting decorations, and a well-lit environment makes it worth the wait. With coffee made from freshly-roasted beans, Stumptown is a coffee lover’s dream. They offer drinks from all over the world including Latin America, Africa, Indonesia.                                                                                                                                 

Second Street

Gimme! Coffee, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Address: 228 Mott St.

Espresso, drip brews and small batch-roasted coffee beans are offered at this small establishment. With the help of their friendly baristas, not only can you learn more about coffee but also try new caffeinated options. Their cold brew is a popular choice.

Greenwich Street

The Elk, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Address: 128 Charles St.

This rustic cafe offers a wide array of food and drinks. From avocado toast to soba noodle bowl, The Elk offers a delicious selection. Their espresso drinks make this place worth a visit.

Lafayette Hall

La Colombe Coffee Roasters, Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 8:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Address: 270 Lafayette St.

This trendy cafe with locations around Manhattan offers artisanal coffee and pastries. With a great selection of blends, La Colombe is a great place to satisfy your energy needs.

Broome Street          

Café Integral, Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Address: 135 Grand St.

This unique spot isa micro coffee shop specializing in Nicaraguan coffee and housed within the American Two Shot store. Café Integral has a beautiful interior to not only study in but also to admire. They offer homemade nut milk selections such as almond, cashew and coconuts. They serve their lattes in a huge mug that’s nearly a bowl, you’ll never run low on your favorite beverage while studying.

Othmer Hall and Clark Street   

Brooklyn Roasting Company, Hours: Everyday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Address: 25 Jay St. Brooklyn

The Brooklyn Roasting Company favors Fairtrade and Rainforest Alliance. They make sure the farmers who grow the beans get the money they deserve and the customers enjoy the coffee. This is a great place to learn more about coffee and experiment with different blends.

Email Yasmin Gulec at [email protected]