Spring Runway Trends: Caught or Dropped?

Renee Yang

This pink ruffled shirt fits in with the spring/summer 2017 runway trends. In fact, Michael Kors incorporated subtle ruffles in over 50 looks in his spring/summer collection.

Pamela Jew, Staff Writer

This past fall, designers premiered their visions for the current Spring/Summer 2017 season. Unfortunately, no designer — no matter how astute — can predict the future. With that in mind, we take a look at which trends stuck and which trends fell flat this year.

Androgynous Fashion

This category encompasses a wide array of trends from men’s button-ups to after-hours robes. Many tops are oversized with rounded shoulders to create a more arching style in the back, similar to a typical men’s cut. Button-ups have been redone in a deconstructed fashion, where the collars are worn off the shoulder and the buttons are never correctly aligned. Robes, on the other hand, now give off a Hugh Hefner vibe and provide a light spring coat overlay.

Ruffles

Thought you retired these after you hit puberty? Think again. Ruffles are making a comeback on everything from tops to jackets to skirts to even shoes. Michael Kors debuted subtle ruffles across more than 50 looks in his Spring/Summer collection. Other designers such as 3.1 Phillip Lim and Jacquemus used ruffle accents.

Eye-Catching Pink

Bright, flamboyant pink has been hiding during this fashion era of neutrals and basics. But this season, pink has made a bold return, and bright pinks can be used as the statement element of an outfit, such as a dress or coat, or can be a simple pop against neutrals. Be on the lookout for baby pinks as well.

Bralettes 

Last summer, bralettes were worn in the place of tank tops to accentuate the elegant lace. Now the trend is being elevated — bralettes are now being worn on top of shirts. This style harkens back to the ‘90s, when dressing down fancy blouses by wearing a bralette on top was popular.

Not daring enough to wear it on top of your shirt but still want to get in on the trend? Try unlined bralettes — they provide the same lacy look with minimal underwire for support.

Greenery

As the Pantone color of the year, designers tried their best to incorporate greenery into their runway pieces as much as possible. But this bold, shrubbery shade of green is hard to pull off effortlessly if your hair is darker.

Jumpsuits

Need an easy one-piece outfit? Try a jumpsuit — it’s like a romper, but longer. To avoid giving off a mechanic worker aesthetic, try one with a waistline meant to flatter curves rather than a more rectangular body type. Stores like Madewell and Urban Outfitters have already premiered their takes on the designer trend, selling jumpsuits in a wide array of cuts and colors.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 20 print edition. Email Pamela Jew at [email protected].