Weekly Sports Update: Spring Break Edition

Via gonyuathletics.com

Jonathan Iaione bats against the University of Wisconsin-Stout, March 12. The NYU baseball team won this game and three others of seven In Fort Myers over spring break.

Nika Woodfill, Deputy Sports Editor

Tennis W: (3-2) M: (3-1)

The tennis team had mixed results Sunday, March 12, with the men’s team defeating Colby College 5-4, and the women’s team losing a close 5-4 matchup against Brandeis University.

The men’s win was bolstered by a strong 2-1 performance in doubles, as well as notable single play wins from freshman Vishal Walia.

Despite the women’s team defeat, the Violets earned hard-fought victories from doubles pair sophomores Vanessa Scott and Alice McGinty.

The women’s team will face California State University, Northridge on Friday, March 24 and the men’s team will take on Kalamazoo College on Thursday, March 23.

Baseball (8-3)

The baseball team competed in Fort Myers, Fla. over spring break last week, winning four out of seven matchups.

The Violets gained victories against University of Wisconsin-Stout, University of Dubuque, Edgewood University and Vassar College over the course of the week. The team also took losses to Vassar, Dubuque and John Hopkins University.

Their winning performances were strengthened by junior pitcher and captain Cameron Serapilio-Frank’s strong pitching record throughout the week.

The Violets’ next matchup will be against St. Joseph’s College-Brooklyn on Thursday, March 23.

Softball (5-2)

The softball team also competed in Florida this past week, collecting wins in all but one of its six games.

The team defeated Hamilton College, Oswego State, Macalester College, Western New England University and Fitchburg State University. The Violets’ only loss of the week was against Stockton University on Monday.

The Violets will face off against Rutgers University-Newark on Thursday, March 23.

Track and Field

The track and field team opened its outdoor season this weekend at the Emory Invitational, with the men’s team placing 15th overall and the women’s team placing 27th.

The men’s ranking was boosted by the team’s pole vaulters, specifically junior Sherman King, who placed second in the pole vault with a height of 4.27m.

The team’s next competition will be the Ursinus College Invitational on Saturday, March 25.

Swimming and Diving

The Violets competed in the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships last week with the men’s team coming in fifth out of 52 teams and the women’s team finishing eighth out of 51 teams.

The men’s team’s impressive fifth-place finish is the highest finish in the program’s history.

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team had a successful tournament weekend, winning the Jekyll Island Women’s Collegiate Invitational.

The Violets shot 934 over the whole tournament, barely beating out Rhodes College, whose team shot 943.

The team will play again at the Vassar College Invitational on April 8.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 20 print edition.

Email Nika Woodfill at [email protected].