U.S. Attorney Fired by Trump to Join Law School

Fired by the Trump administration, former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, Preet Bharara, will be joining NYU Law School on April 1. Both Bharara and the members of the school are excited for his position as a distinguished scholar in residence.

via wikipedia.org

via wikipedia.org

By Sayer Devlin, Deputy News Editor

Preet Bharara — the former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York — will join the NYU School of Law as a distinguished scholar in residence on April 1.

Bharara has gained recognition for refusing to resign from his position and subsequently being fired by the Trump administration. In a statement, Bharara said that he is honored to join NYU Law as it is one of the great educational institutions in the United States.

“I welcome the chance to contribute in such a thoughtful setting,” Bharara said in a statement. “I am thrilled for this opportunity to continue addressing the issues I so deeply care about — criminal and social justice, honest government, national security, civil rights and corporate accountability, to name a few.”

NYU Law Public Affairs Director Michael Orey said Bharara’s position is full-time and he will be widely involved with the law school. Orey said he expects that as a distinguished scholar in residence at NYU Law, Bharara will participate in activities in various centers at the university.

“In particular we expect he will participate in the activities of NYU’s Center for Cybersecurity, the Law School’s Center on Law and Security, the Law School’s Center on the Administration of Criminal Law and the Law School’s Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement,” Orey said in an email. “We also expect that he will take part in the intellectual life of the Law School — participating in panel discussions, student forums, etc.”

Orey said that Bharara may also teach at NYU Law, but the school does not have specifics at this time.

Bharara is a distinguished attorney who has investigated several high profile financial crimes and cases of public corruption, like the role of JPMorganChase in Bernie Madoff’s ponzi scheme. Bharara and the bank eventually came to a settlement that called for JPMorganChase to forfeit $1.7 billion, the largest bank forfeiture in history.

Professor of Law and Director of Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement Jennifer Arlen, who specializes in corporate crimes, said that she is ecstatic that Bharara is joining the law school given his intimate knowledge on corporate crimes.

“I am thrilled that Preet Bharara is joining NYU Law School — I couldn’t be happier,” Arlen said. “He has been one of the preeminent federal prosecutors. He has truly exceptional experience and both the students and the faculty in this area could learn a huge amount from being able to interact with him both in and out of the classroom.”

Arlen said that Bharara’s experience as a Southern district attorney of New York who investigates a substantial portion of corporate criminal cases will be invaluable to students and faculty as corporate crimes are often resolved through criminal settlements and not in trial.

“Since so much of the core principles that have been developed in this area have come out of criminal settlements, what you really need to know is what are the factors that genuinely drive the ultimate determinations,” Arlen said. “Someone like Bharara brings a depth of knowledge on the core factors that determine the law in this area that you can’t get from the outside.”

Email Sayer at [email protected]

Sayer Devlin, Managing Editor
Sayer Devlin is an Economics major in CAS and loves reading Marginal Revolution and Toni Morrison. In his time at WSN, he’s started the official podcast and doggedly reported on everything from the finances of NYU to the school’s racial makeup. He was born in Tokyo and has lived in Paris, London, Massachusetts and New...
1 Comment

One Response to “U.S. Attorney Fired by Trump to Join Law School”

1. David Webster on March 22nd, 2017 9:56 am

The headline on this story is incorrect. U.S. Attorney is federal, district attorney is state or municipal.