The Pineapple Pizza Debate That’s Slicing the World Apart

Ryan Quan

Although pineapple pizza is a staple of most American pizzerias, whether or not pinapple deserves to be on pizza is a major debate, especially on social media.

Allie Degen, Contributing Writer

The argument over pineapple as an acceptable pizza topping has escalated to new heights. Sparking enormous controversy on the internet, the issue of pineapple pizza divides mankind. But why has pineapple pizza stirred up so much hysteria?

There’s not much evidence as to when, where or why this matter became so publicized, but it inflated recently after President Gudni Johannesson of Iceland proclaimed that he would ban pineapple as a pizza topping if he had the power to do so. As soon as word of this got out, an outcry erupted across the world wide web. People everywhere either derided or glorified him. Johannesson later admitted that while the ban itself was a joke, his hatred of the topping was not.

One of the most remarkable aspects of this debate is that people are extremely assertive about their opinions, regardless of which side they take. Perhaps this is because only the people with the strongest opinions choose to post them on social media.  But maybe after recent heated political controversy, people have come together to focus on this more lighthearted dispute.

But as we now know, the pineapple pizza debate is far from lighthearted. People who have never even met in real life trash each other on social media over their contending opinions. This once-underrated food combination has driven people to pure revulsion toward those on the other side. Search “pineapple pizza debate” on Google,  and an absurd number of results appears.

At NYU, there is a similarly extensive range of opinions. As one of the most globally diverse universities in the United States, NYU accommodates students from many different backgrounds, suggesting that everyone falls differently on the attitude spectrum toward the contentious food combination.

CAS sophomore Allison Griffith has an appreciation for pineapple pizza and said she most likely won’t ever turn to hating it.

“My favorite pizza combination is pepperoni and pineapple,” she said. “The pineapples add some extra zest , and I love it!”

In contrast to Griffith’s adamant love for it, CAS sophomore Bryant Kim expressed a deeply rooted hatred toward pineapple pizza.

“It triggers me,” he said. “There should be a safe space dedicated for it, honestly.”

CAS sophomore Nancy Faber is not as assertive in her opinion on pineapple pizza as some.

“I’m torn about it,” she said. “It combines my two favorite places — Hawaii and Italy  — but then again, some Italians say it’s wrong. It’s just not right — I’m either in love with it or I hate it, kind of like my ex-boyfriends.”

Apparently the world is not ready to make a final decision on pineapple pizza. It is interesting to see how something as simple as a pizza topping can cause a huge controversy. Nonetheless, now that we are aware of how intensified this debate has become, we know better than to suggest it as a topic of discussion at the next Thanksgiving dinner.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 27 print edition. Email Allie Degen at [email protected]