Weekly Sports Update March 20 to March 26

CAS+junior+Jonathan+Iaione+throws+out+a+runner+in+the+ninth+inning+on+March+23+in+a+game+against+St.+Joseph%E2%80%99s.+

Via gonyuathletics.com

CAS junior Jonathan Iaione throws out a runner in the ninth inning on March 23 in a game against St. Joseph’s.

Nika Woodfill, Deputy Sports Editor

Softball (8-4)

The softball team concluded a week with mixed results on Saturday, splitting two doubleheaders against Montclair State and Rutgers University, Newark.

Rutgers earned a 7-6 win in the first game, but the Violets rallied to a 12-4 victory in the second game, maintaining the lead for the entire game.

The team fared similarly against Montclair, winning the opening game by 10-6 but falling 4-3 in their second match up.

The team will face off against Stevens Institute of Technology for another double-header Wednesday, March 29.

Baseball (9-3)

The baseball team gained a close 6-5 win over St. Joseph’s College on Thursday.

The Violets started out strong, obtaining a 2-0 lead after the first inning, but after the first half of the third inning, St. Joseph’s surpassed NYU 3-2.

But bolstered by sophomore Colman Hendershot’s mid-game home run, the Violets were able to recover, securing the lead for the remainder of the game.

Saturday, in a double-header against Haverford College, NYU split its decisions. The Violets won their noon game over the Fords 11-9 but dropped their later game 4-7.

Like the softball team, the baseball squad will play again Wednesday, March 29. They’ll be home at MCU Park in Brooklyn, playing Maritime College.

Men’s Tennis (4-2)

The men’s tennis team took an3-6 loss against Kalamazoo College earlier this week, but the team was able to recover, defeating Hobart College 8-1 on Saturday.

Despite the Violets’ loss to Kalamazoo, the team obtained notable victories in both singles and double plays, two coming from freshman Michael Li.

On Saturday, the team regained its confidence, dominating both singles and doubles play.

Sunday’s Senior Day saw the men take on the University of Rochester with an incredible performance, matching their 8-1 win from Saturday.

The team will hit the court next Wednesday, March 29 in Ewing, N.J. against the College of New Jersey at 3:30 p.m.

Women’s Tennis (4-3)

The women’s tennis team took a painful 8-1 loss from California State University, Northridge on Friday but recovered Saturday, gaining an 8-1 victory over William Smith College.

The team’s sole win against CSU Northridge was secured by freshman Rupa Ganesh, who won her singles match.

The Violets’ win on Saturday against William Smith College, during their own Senior Day, was marked by significant wins, with all six singles players obtaining victories. The final score was 8-1.

Yesterday against the University of Rochester, the team also matched the previous day’s total, earning an 8-1 win over the Yellowjackets.

The Violets won’t be back in action until Saturday, April 8 against SUNY Geneseo at their home Stadium Tennis Centre in the Bronx.

Men’s Volleyball (12-7)

The men’s volleyball team secured a comfortable straight sets (25-16, 25-19, 25-21) victory over Rutgers University, Newark on Thursday.

The Violets had a slow start in the first set, with Rutgers scoring the first three points. However, the team bounced back, taking the next five points and producing a winning surge that lasted the remainder of the match.

Additionally, senior Derrick Chiu delivered a notable performance, securing 17 assists over the course of the match.

The Violets will play against Ramapo College on Tuesday, March 28.

Track and Field 

The NYU track and field squad was in Collegeville, Pa. over the weekend, competing in the Ursinus College Invitational. Highlight reel results included sophomore Mimi Conti’s third-place finish in the women’s 100m dash and senior Dana Placentra’s third-place win in the pole vault.

Over on the men’s side, strong performances included senior captain Budd Brown’s second-place finish in the 400-meter race and sophomore Julian Marrufo’s second place in the 10,000-meter contest.

The team will hit the track next for the Roadrunner Invitational hosted by Ramapo College in Mahwah, N.J. from March 31 to April 1.

Fencing

NYU’s one contingent in NCAA’s Division I took part in the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis, finishing in 11th place after three days of competition.

Additional reporting by Rachel Ruecker. 

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 27 print edition. Email Nika Woodfill at [email protected].