Weekly Sports Update: March 27 to April 2

via gonyuathletics.com

SPS sophomore Ashley Mains had a two-run triple in the March 29 game against Stevens Institute of Technology.

Sierra Jackson, Managing Editor

Softball (8-6)

The softball team’s troubling streak continued this week with two straight losses against Stevens Institute of Technology on Wednesday.

In the opener against Stevens, the Violets lost 4-12. They led the first inning by one point thanks to sophomore catcher Jacqueline Finn, but they fell behind in both the second and third. Neither team scored during the fourth inning, but the Violets were able to tie the game 3-3 in the fifth with sophomore outfielder Ashley Main’s two-run triple. But the Violets were unable to keep this momentum and fell behind again in the sixth.

The Violets fared better in the nightcap, losing just 4-5. The team played defensively for the first six innings, only allowing Stevens to earn four points. In the seventh, the Violets made a major comeback and earned four points. Unfortunately, Stevens still took the game.

The team’s two games against the College at Old Westbury on Friday were postponed because of the weather.

The team will play its next game on Wednesday, April 5 against Drew University in Madison, N.J.

Baseball (11-4)

The Violets triumphed over Maritime College Wednesday, winning 11-3. They tied 2-2 with Maritime in the first inning and led in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings. Sophomore starter Chad Jones, senior outfielder Adrian Splints and sophomore shortstop Ryan McLaughlin gave great performances and made the Violets a force to be reckoned with.

Their games against Rutgers-Newark University on Thursday and the City College of New York on Friday were postponed because of the weather.

The baseball team will face off against John Jay College Tuesday, April 4 at MCU Park in Brooklyn.

Men’s Tennis (7-2)

The men’s tennis team was also successful this week and won two of its three games.

The first game on Wednesday against the College of New Jersey was a tight win — the Violets came out on top with 5-4. The team’s match against Vassar College on Saturday was postponed because of the rain.

On Sunday, the Violets were once again victorious, winning 8-1 against Merrimack College. The team won all its doubles matches and five of its six singles matches. Senior Umberto Setter, junior Samuel Khoshbin, freshman Benedict Teoh and freshman Michael Li gave stand-out performances.

The tennis team faces off against the U.S. Coast Guard Academy Wednesday, April 5 at the U.S. National Tennis Center.

Men’s Volleyball (15-8)

During its home game against Ramapo College, the men’s volleyball team destroyed the Roadrunners in straight sets.

Although Ramapo scored the first point, the Violets led for the majority of the match. The Violets were able to turn the first set into a victory even though they trailed behind halfway through the frame. A kill by senior middle blocker Stephan Tan ended the match with a win for NYU. Other highlights for our team included freshman Alex Li’s match-high record of 20 kills for NYU and senior Derrick Chiu’s match-best of 36 assists in the win.

The Violets were defeated 1-3 in their match against Hunter College on Thursday. NYU lost the first two sets, but came back with a victory in the third set.

The team also hosted the  April 1 UVC Crossover. In their opener against Elmira College, the Violets won 3-0 and in their match against MIT they won 3-1. Senior Derrick Chiu, senior Nick Benson and freshman Neil Ferraro helped bring the team to victory.

The volleyball team will play its next game against Endicott College Friday, April 7 in Beverly, Md.

Track and Field

The Violets participated in the Roadrunner Invitational hosted by Ramapo College in Mahwah, N.J.  last Friday and Saturday. Both the men’s and women’s teams placed placed 14th.

Junior Shannon Morgan placed 40th in the preliminaries with a time of 15.04, and sophomore Amanda Casas placed 29th in the women’s 400m dash. Sophomore Sherine Sbay placed 39th for the 800m run, and sophomore Isabella Steains placed 19th in the 1500m run.

For the men, junior Tyler Whitehouse placed 45th in the preliminaries. In the 400m dash, Senior Fred Lam placed 17th, and sophomore Daniel Sovich placed 42nd. Junior Vincent Booth placed sixth in the 800m run. In the 1500m run, freshmen Connor Riley, Benjamin Karam and Benjamins Heintz placed fourth, fifth and 10th respectively. In the 300m steeplechase, junior Sam Praveen placed sixth.

The Violets will participate in the Sam Howell Invitational at Princeton University Friday, April 7 and Saturday, April 8.

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team attended the Hershey Cup in Hershey, Pa. last Sunday, and it will continue its play today. As of Sunday, the team ranked third of 15.

The Violets will participate in the NYU Spring Invitational this coming Saturday, April 8 in Bloomfield, N.J.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 3 print edition. Email Sierra Jackson at [email protected]