Lacrosse Is Committed but Lax

For those who do not have the time  to play on varsity, the women’s club lacrosse team is an excellent alternative. It allows women to play lacrosse while simultaneously having time to relax.

For those who do not have the time to play on varsity, the women’s club lacrosse team is an excellent alternative. It allows women to play lacrosse while simultaneously having time to relax.

Courtesy of Madi Perez

Courtesy of Madi Perez

Nika Woodfill, Deputy Sports Editor

With the lack of readily-available athletic facilities and open playing fields surrounding NYU’s campus, it can be difficult to play sports here at a competitive level without engaging in varsity sports. Yet the women’s club lacrosse team has found the perfect balance of competitive play and relaxed time commitment.

The team practices in both the spring and fall and meets twice a week, with games usually taking place during the weekend.

Freshman Madi Perez finds the practice schedule very manageable, and says it leaves ample time for academics and other activities.

“We have one mandatory practice a week, but it’s preferred if you go to both practices,” Perez said. “We normally do one to two games on Saturdays, and the time we play really depends on who we play. It’s very manageable to play NYU lax and still have time for academics and extracurriculars.”

The games are played throughout the tri-state area, which makes transportation fairly convenient, according to freshman Hannah Cai.

“Games are played on either a Saturday or Sunday throughout the season,” Cai said. “We play other schools in the league like Hofstra, Stony Brook, etc. and take a bus to get to their fields.”

This season, the team had an extremely successful season with a 6-1 record, as well as qualifying for the national playoffs.

According to Perez, the team welcomes all skill levels — however, some knowledge of lacrosse is recommended.

“It is preferred if you have previous experience playing lacrosse, but everyone is welcome to play,” Perez said. “It’s such a welcoming community in that sense.”

Perez also noted that the team has been an important and valuable community for her.

“Joining lacrosse was the best decision I made here,” Perez said. “I made amazing friends, the coaches are so kind and knowledgeable, and the team as a whole works really well together.”

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 24 print edition. Email Nika Woodfill at [email protected]