Mack DeGeurin

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor

Mack DeGeurin is a senior double majoring in journalism and political science. When not reporting on school issues, cybersecurity and politics, Mack enjoys reading fiction and watching the Houston Astros. Originally from Houston, Texas, Mack hopes to continue writing about foreign policy and technology as a professional journalist. 

While he enjoys their company, Mack has serious misgivings about Alexa and Siri's intentions. Follow him on Twitter @MDeGeurin.

All content by Mack DeGeurin
At a public town hall in April, NYU President Andrew Hamilton denounced the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement as against the principles of academic freedom.

Hamilton Denounces BDS, Acknowledges Racism in Stern at Town Hall

Mack DeGeurin, Sakshi Venkatraman and Alex Domb April 20, 2018
Tensions ran high at a town hall between President Hamilton and students as a large cohort of student activists criticized the administration.
On the steps inside the Kimmel Center for University Life, a student activist holds a sign that reads, NYU would rather suspend students than speak to them #TrusteeTownHall.

Hamilton to Address Community at Public Town Hall April 19

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor April 17, 2018
NYU Student Government will hold a Town Hall with President Andrew Hamilton on Thursday.
Fifty NYU Groups Pledge Solidarity With Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions Movement

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor April 12, 2018
More than 50 clubs at NYU have pledged to take part in the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement to advocate for Palestinian rights.
Former White House Communications Director, Anthony Scaramucci speaking at an NYU Republicans event.

Anthony ‘The Mooch’ Scaramucci Speaks to NYUCR

Mack DeGeurin and Sunanda Gaskins April 6, 2018
Former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci spoke at an event held by NYU College Republicans on Thursday night.
College Republicans to Host Former Trump Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor March 23, 2018
The NYU College Republicans announced that they will host an event featuring former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci. Scaramucci lasted 10 days in the White House before resigning.
On International Women’s Day, Mar. 8, people protested at Washington Square Park demanding women’s rights.

Video: WSP Women’s Strike Met With Disruption by Far Right

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor March 9, 2018
Hundreds of women went on strike in Washington Square Park on International Women's Day this Thursday to rally for a variety of causes, including sanctuary for immigrants and more rights for labor unions.

Sam Raskin

Keeping NYU Local
Mack DeGeurin, News Editor March 8, 2018

On the last day of February, a group of about 20 members of the New York City press corps huddled together around cameras and local politicians on the steps of City Hall. The New...

Stoneman Douglas Tragedy Shakes NYU

Stoneman Douglas Tragedy Shakes NYU

In the wake of the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, members of the NYU community have come together to grieve and work toward gun law reform.
Caroline Haskins and Mack DeGeurin February 26, 2018
A vigil was held for Parkland on Thursday to honor those affected by the mass shooting that took place at a high school there last week.
Hamilton Admits University Bungled NYUAD Visa Denials

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor February 12, 2018
President Hamilton recently released a letter addressing concerns over recent visa denials for faculty members attempting to travel to NYU Abu Dhabi.
A Facebook event at Union Square in 2017 was part of a Russian misinformation campaign.

NYU Researchers Make Breakthrough in Russian Bot Detection

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor January 29, 2018
A team of NYU professors and graduate students make breakthrough in Russian bot detection. They found that, on any given day, more than half of Russian political tweets are generated by bots.
NYU President Hamilton speaking at the welcome reception for the new students from Puerto Rico on January 25th, 2018

Reception Kicks Off Semester for New Puerto Rican Students

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor January 26, 2018
A reception and orientation was held for the 57 Puerto Rican students enrolled in NYU.
George Ciccariello-Maher appearing on MSNBC in 2015. Ciccariello is controversial for his opinions on white genocide and has recently been named a visiting scholar at NYU.

‘White Genocide’ Drexel Professor Taken on as Visiting Scholar

Sakshi Venkatraman and Mack DeGeurin January 22, 2018
George Ciccariello-Maher, former Drexel University Professor, is now a visiting scholar at NYU Tisch's Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics.
NYU’s Hurricane Maria Assistance Program has increased their numbers of students who were affected by the national disaster that occurred on Sept. 16 - Oct. 3.

NYU Welcomes Puerto Rican Students

Mack DeGeurin, News Editor January 22, 2018
NYU announced in November that it would launch the Hurricane Maria Assistance Program for students from Puerto Rico affected by the hurricane. It initially committed to accepting 50 students but will accept more because of the large volume of applicants. The students will study tuition-free at NYU for the spring semester.
The Review and Debates hosted a discussion about whether or not students thought NYUAD was a mistake.

Students Debate the Existence of NYU Abu Dhabi

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor December 7, 2017
Review and Debates prompted students and professors at NYU to consider the existence of NYU Abu Dhabi.
Prior to 2012, Jewish and atheist NYUAD advisors were forced to misidentify their religion when applying for work visas.

Former NYUAD Staff Forced to Misidentify Religion

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor November 20, 2017
Several 2011 NYU Abu Dhabi Academic Fellows say they were told to misidentify their religious affiliation on government documents.
The former Chinese Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs, He Yafei, and former United States ambassador to China, Clark T. Randt Jr., spoke to a crowd of over 100 NYU students and faculty about U.S.-China relations on Nov.13 at the NYU School of Law.

Chinese, American Diplomats Call for Cooperation

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor November 14, 2017
He Yafei, former Vice President of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The People's Republic of China, spoke at NYU regarding US-China relations.
NYU Journalism to Sever Ties with NYU Abu Dhabi

Gallatin Faculty Urge Colleagues Not to Teach at NYUAD
Mack DeGeurin, Sayer Devlin and Jemima McEvoy November 3, 2017
NYU's Arthur L. Carter Institute of Journalism has decided to end its relationship with NYU's Abu Dhabi campus over concerns of access to the campus.
A recent attack on civilians in lower manhattan has left at least eight dead and 11 injured. Forensics and police gather to investigate and control the scene.

On the Scene of the TriBeCa Attacks

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor November 1, 2017
A suspected terror attack in Tribeca leaves eight dead and over a dozen injured.
Mondays North Korea, Nukes, Missiles and Human Insecurity was hosted by NYU Freedom for North Korea, the NYU Politics Society and the International Relations Society. Representatives from each group discussed the possibility of a united Korean peninsula and the likelihood of nuclear war between the United States and North Korea.

NYU Panel Discusses Human Rights Violation and Growing Escalation in North Korea

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor October 24, 2017
The Politics Society, International Relations Society, and NYU Freedom for North Korea are co-host a conference titled “North Korea: Nukes, Missiles, and Human Insecurity.”
NYU President, Andrew Hamilton, responds to the MEIS in a letter after some NYU teachers were denied visas to teach at certain locations.

Hamilton Letter Explains University’s Position in Wake of Visa Denials

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor October 20, 2017
After weeks of silence, NYU President Andrew Hamilton responds to complaints of academic freedom violations at NYU Abu Dhabi.
After a vandalized poster was found in Bobst Library yesterday, NYUs Dream Team and the Incarceration to Education Coalition will host a rally in Kimmel today to demonstrate support for Dreamers.

Vandal Scribbles Racist Message in Bobst Bathroom

Miranda Levingston and Mack DeGeurin October 17, 2017
Anti-Dreamers graffiti was discovered in a bathroom in Elmer Holmes Bobst Library.
Faculty from the journalism department and Gallatin have asked colleagues to consider resisting from teaching at NYUAD until Hamilton addresses issues of academic freedom.

Another NYU Professor Comes Forward with Claims of Discrimination at NYUAD

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor October 10, 2017
More claims surface of religious discrimination at NYU Abu Dhabi.
Lack of Academic Freedom Plagues NYU Abu Dhabi

Mack DeGeurin and Amy Rhee October 2, 2017
NYU Professor Mohammad Bazzi's recent UAE visa denial highlights a growing number of NYU faculty and staff who have faced discrimination at the Abu Dhabi campus. NYU has largely avoided addressing these issues publicly.
Republican Mayor candidate Nicole Malliotakis gave a speech to students at an NYU College Republican meeting on Sept. 28. She discussed topics relevant to many NYU students like prioritizing improvements on the NYC Public Transit.

Republican Mayoral Candidate Speaks to College Republicans

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor September 29, 2017
Nicole Malliotakis, the Republican Candidate for New York City Mayor, spoke to NYUCR.

Tandon Group Wins $1 Million for Smart Gun Holster

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor September 25, 2017
Tandon students won a $1 million prize for inventing a smart gun intended for the mass market.
NYU Republicans and Democrats battle it out at a debate hosted in Kimmel.

Photo: NYU Dems and Republicans Spar over Climate Change and Hurricane Relief

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor September 22, 2017

The NYU College Republicans often brings in guests to speak at the clubs events. The group chooses speakers primarily based on their availability and cost, and speakers like Milo Yiannopoulos and Gavin McInnes often speak for free at campuses.

College Republicans Prepare for New Year, Host First Speaker

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor September 20, 2017
The NYU College Republicans tktk.
Virtual Reality in NYU’s Media and Games Network

NYU Professors Bring Hamlet to Virtual Reality

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor September 18, 2017
An NYU Tandon professor works with an international team to bring the arts and education to life in virtual reality.
“Exposure” is one of the independent video games that was shown at the NYU Incubator showcase.

Highlights from Game Center Showcase

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor September 11, 2017
Exposure was among the seven video games selected to be presented at the annual NYU Incubator showcase.
A security officer looks on over the crowd of protesters in Kimmel.

Kimmel Demonstrators Protest Trump’s Move to End DACA

Sayer Devlin and Mack DeGeurin September 6, 2017
Protestors filled Kimmel to show support for DACA recipients and undocumented students in the wake of the Trump administration's decision to end DACA.

NYU Seniors Reflect on Their First Time Away From Home

Mack Degeurin, Deputy News Editor September 5, 2017
Students who have never left their hometowns until going to college face a unique set of challenges upon arriving at their university.

NYU Abu Dhabi Researchers Lay the Groundwork for an ‘Unhackable’ Microchip

Mack DeGeurin, Deputy News Editor September 5, 2017
NYU Abu Dhabi researches create first unhackable chip.
Tyehimba Jess, left, won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry for his “Olio.” Surya Mattu, center, and Micki McElya, right, were finalists for explanatory reporting and general nonfiction, respectively.

NYU Alumnus Tyehimba Jess Wins Pulitzer Prize

Mack Degeurin, Staff Writer April 17, 2017
An alumnus of NYU’s Creative Writing program won a Pulitzer Prize for poetry.
According to a report from a website called Recorded Future, a Russian speaking hacker, Rasputin, threatened to sell NYU student and faculty bank routing numbers and social security numbers on the darknet. NYU was one of 60 reported universities and government agencies targeted in the attack.

NYU Is Targeted by Russian Hackers

Mack Degeurin, Staff Writer April 11, 2017
NYU was recently targeted during widespread hack that attempted to steal secure information from 60 universities and government agencies across the country.
NYU President Andrew Hamilton in addition to other NYU students and faculty spoke out against President Trump’s budget proposal. Many are concerned with the budgetary cuts to the Department of Education.

Trump’s Proposal Concerns NYU

Mack Degeurin, Staff Writer April 3, 2017
President Andrew Hamilton wrote an article in The Washington Post March 25, criticizing President Donald Trump's budget proposal. Faculty and students at NYU have spoken out on these potential changes to the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Education.
Last week, President Donald Trump barred the New York Times alongside other major news outlets (including CNN and Politico) from attending White House briefings. Journalism students worry about what this means for the future.

NYU Journalists Face Uncertainty Following Press Briefing Bans

Mack Degeurin, Contributing Writer March 2, 2017
Now that several media outlets have been banned from the White House, NYU journalism students and professors discuss the future of their field.
Some students at NYU Tandon have commented on the quality of their physics classes being much lower than those offered in CAS.

Tandon Researchers Develop Database to Reduce Crime and Incarceration

Mack DeGeurin, Contributing Writer February 7, 2017
Political groups at NYU weigh in on NYU student Trevor Hill's conversation with Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi.
The Unintended Costs of Obama’s Presidential Power Expansion

Mack DeGeurin, Contributing Writer January 31, 2017
While Obama’s decision to rely on executive orders during a gridlocked Congress may have led to successful policy measures, his actions have in effect paved the way and set the precedent for a vast and dangerous overreach of executive power by President Trump.