Yasmin Gulec

Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor

Yasmin Gulec is a junior double majoring in GLS and Journalism. She's an editor for Under the Arch, which she deems as the best section at WSN. Hailing from Istanbul, Turkey, Yasmin responds to not only her name, but Turkish Delight. In her free time, you can find her reading books about food or drowning her troubles in liters of coffee. Follow her on Instagram @yasmiintea, but beware she archives content without notice. So catch it while it's hot.

All content by Yasmin Gulec
Yasmin Gülec

Yasmin Gülec

Yasmin Gulec May 8, 2020

Last year when I was working on the While You Were Here issue, I was very aware that next year, in 2020, the issue would be made for my graduating class. “That is going to be...

The Liberal Studies commencement ceremony took place in the Skirball Center for Performing Arts on Tuesday. (Photo by Yasmin Gulec)

Liberal Studies Commencement ’19

Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor May 22, 2019

As excited family members and friends took their seats in the Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, the 2019 Liberal Studies graduating class lined up backstage, whispering...

Staff Rants: Tech Edition

Staff Rants: Tech Edition

To quote Patrick from “Spongebob Squarepants”: we have technology! As the WSN staff will soon tell you, it’s an everyday part of our lives that ends up being more frustrating than not.

On Being Made Fun of for Owning AirPods By Sakshi Venkatraman, Editor-in-Chief I’ll just come out and say it. I own AirPods. I find it’s better to be forthright about it...

The Monthly Grind: Paying Your Own Rent in New York City

Living the New York City dream is not cheap. It’s even harder when you pay your own way.
Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor Feb 21, 2019

Shoebox-sized apartments shared by four people, bedrooms with hardly enough space for a twin bed and friendly rodents that visit from time to time. Despite the downsides, off-campus...

The Suite Life of Faculty Children

The Suite Life of Faculty Children

Hundreds of undergraduates populate NYU residence halls, but so do a handful of faculty members’ children.

Elena Victoria Chirinos jumps up and down in her sparkly silver skirt as NYU students trickle into her sixth-floor Third Avenue North Residence Hall apartment to celebrate...

(Photo by Katie Peurrung)

Zella Christenson | The Queen of Food Studies

Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor Dec 6, 2018

Sounds of laughter and the smell of Thanksgiving dinner oozed out of the apartment where NYU Navigator’s all-girl Bible study group hosts its weekly meeting. While the group...

Antidotes and Anecdotes

Antidotes and Anecdotes

Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor Nov 8, 2018
Cocktails are the cherry on top for any dinner party, adding an extra fitz and spirit to the table.
The newest Seastraws addition, silicone straws. (Courtesy of Seastraws)

NYU Bought a Semester’s Worth of Sustainable Straws From This Student-Run Company

The university backs Seastraws, a student-run company seeking to reduce the amount of plastic in oceans, by providing their straws in select dining halls.
Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor Nov 5, 2018
New York Nightlife Is on the Rise With the New Nightlife Mayor

Just let them dance.
Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor Oct 18, 2018
In a city with a population of students dying to experience everything New York has to offer after the sun goes down, what can the office of nightlife do for us?
Underage Nightlife and How NYC Welcome Week Pulled It Off

Tyler Crews and Yasmin Gulec Oct 1, 2018
New York City nightlife can be tricky to navigate for students under 21. NYC Welcome Week tries to eliminate this struggle by providing 18+ events.
Members of boy group *NSYNC.

Staff Recs: Best Early 2000s Jams

Unabashedly indulge your bedazzled former self and rock out to these early 2000s hits.
First Night Stories to Put Yours in Perspective

Don't sh-t the bed your first night at college.
Yasmin Gulec, Under the Arch Editor Sep 3, 2018
Class representatives hold their flags as they wait to walk on to stage.

Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development Commencement ’18

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor May 15, 2018

Welcomed by the melodies of the Symphonic Brass Alliance, family and friends took their seats in the world’s largest indoor theatre, Radio City Music Hall to commemorate...

NYU President Hamilton speaking at the welcome reception for the students from Puerto Rico on January 25th, 2018. A number of these students are now asking Hamilton to extend the program.

NYU Denies Visiting Puerto Rican Students Additional Semester

Natalie Chinn and Yasmin Gulec May 2, 2018
President Andrew Hamilton responded to HMAP Students Initiative's request to continue HMAP for an additional semester.
On Food Culture in Turkey and at NYU

On Food Culture in Turkey and at NYU

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Apr 30, 2018
NYU has broadened my understanding of food culture and given me new outlets to channel my passion for cuisine.
A house is right in front of Jamaris Martinez-Lugos grandparents house, the house is supposed to be on top of the blue columns on the right side but there was a flood and the river knocked it down.

Returning Puerto Rican Students Face Uncertainty

Yasmin Gulec, Natalie Chinn, and Pamela Jew Apr 29, 2018
Students who came to NYU for a semester with the Hurricane Maria Assistance program reflect on their semester and talk about the upcoming storm season, Puerto Rican politics and the possibility of staying.

Visiting Students from Puerto Rico Ask Hamilton to Extend Program

Natalie Chinn, Yasmin Gulec, and Pamela Jew Apr 27, 2018
HMAP Students Initiative published a letter early this morning calling for President Andrew Hamilton to extend the Hurricane Maria Assistance Program for an additional semester.
Liberal Studies Professor John Ward Regan

LS Professor No Longer Teaching After Allegations of Sexual Misconduct Surface

Alex Domb and Yasmin Gulec Apr 26, 2018
Liberal Studies Professor J. Ward Regan no longer has teaching responsibilities at NYU after news emerged of sexual relations he had with a 15-year-old student in a class he was teaching in the early 1990s.
Jose Diaz is a junior in CAS and the organizer of the Fatherhood Afterward Incarceration panel that occurred on Mar. 29.

Photo: Leaving the Bars Behind and Starting Anew

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Apr 9, 2018

Spotify is a popular music streaming service.

Welcome to the Era of the Celestial Jukebox

In September 2000, The Atlantic published an article called “The Heavenly Jukebox” and argued about the possibility of technology allowing people to listen to music whenever...

Lorde headlined the Melodrama tour Wednesday night in Barclays Center.

Staff Recs: Best Lorde Songs

In honor of the Melodrama Tour's stop in Brooklyn on Wednesday night, WSN has compiled a list of the best Lorde songs.
Put Your Tin Foil Hats On, We Are Talking About Conspiracies

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Apr 2, 2018
The why and the how of conspiracy theories.
The Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Nature of Time Travel

What is time? Does time travel exist? These are the questions that occupy NYU students' thoughts.
The Conspiracy Issue

The Conspiracy Issue

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Apr 1, 2018

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor April 2, 2018 I was introduced to the whirlwind nature of conspiracy theories when I was around five. My family and I were visiting a friend’s...

Clockwise from top left, album covers from The Arctic Monkeys, Slowdive, Anderson .Paak , and Kim Petras.

Staff Recs: Best Songs to Spring into Spring With

Say goodbye to winter with our playlist of songs to spring into spring with!
Staff Rants: Astrology, Texting While Walking and Sidewalk Rage

Tyler Crews, Yasmin Gulec, and Liv Chai Mar 27, 2018
This week our staff is feeling especially angry. Perhaps it is because Mercury went into retrograde, or maybe it is just a part of being a New Yorker.

Rachel Stern

It’s in Her Nature
Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Mar 8, 2018

Second Avenue is home to Block Drug Store, a pharmacy that has survived for over 100 years while surrounding businesses have shuttered. Restaurants turned into chic coffeeshops...

An NYU skateboarder takes a break from skating around Lower Manhattan.

Sk8er Boys — And Girls — of NYU

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Mar 6, 2018
Hear what NYU skaters have to say about skating in the city.
Broome Street

Broome Street

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Feb 22, 2018

Address: 400 Broome St., New York, NY 10013 Cost per semester: $6,622-$9,386 Low cost: Available Rooms available: Singles, Doubles, Triples Nearby subways: J, N, Q, 6 NYU...

Staff Recs: Best Songs to Cry To

Staff Recs: Best Songs to Cry To

The WSN Staff compiled a playlist of the best songs to cry to this Valentine's Day. Sit back, relax and feel all the feels.
A cyclist bikes past on a Citi Bike. There are many Citi Bike locations on the NYU campus, as well as normal bicycle racks and NYU-specific racks.

The Ins and Outs of Biking Around Campus

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Jan 31, 2018
Biking around campus can be scary but do not fret! Here are some basic tips to find parking and safely pedal around NYU
Next Level Burger is an 100 percent plant-based burger joint. Its new location will open inside Whole Foods Market at 283 Bedford Ave. on Jan. 31.

Taking Burgers to the Next Level

Yasmin Gulec, Features Editor Jan 23, 2018
A new plant-based burger chain is finally opening their first East Coast location.
“Last Christmas” by Wham!, featuring the duo George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley, Is one of the staff recommendations for best original holiday song.

Staff Recs: Best Original Holiday Songs

For the last staff rec of the semester, WSN staff members reveal their favorite original holiday hits.
The Coffee Issue

The Coffee Issue

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Nov 20, 2017
Grab a hot cup of coffee, let the familiar smell that carries centuries of history surround you and slowly sip away while you enjoy the Coffee Issue.
Duane Park Patisserie in Greenwich Village has been serving the popular chocolate cake treats known as Ring Dings since 1922.

Ring Dings Will Be Your Next Fling

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Nov 13, 2017
The 60's classic, Ring Dings, are making a comeback! Taste these delicious small cakes at the Duane Park Patisserie

Patricio Navia

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Oct 10, 2017
An interview with NYU professor, Patricio Navia, for The Immigration Issue.
The Immigration Issue

The Immigration Issue

Jemima McEvoy and Yasmin Gulec Oct 10, 2017
The Immigration Issue aims to look at the various experiences immigrants to the United States go through during their decision, documentation, arrival and grind.
Swipe Me is a mobile app that matches students with students who have extra meal swipes.

Photo: Noah Hyams: Behind Swipe Me

Spurthi Kontham, Contributing Writer Sep 18, 2017

Avocados are no doubt a millennial favorite and can be found somewhere near every NYU residence.

Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Avocado

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Sep 7, 2017
Here's a list of places to get dishes with avocado near each dorm!

The omurice is a Japanese omelet covered with a number of unconventional toppings — it’s more than your typical salt and pepper.

The Exploding Omelet

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Sep 5, 2017
Every month we find ourselves discovering a new dish whether it is an innovative take on something we already knew, or a traditional food from another country that we just hop on the bandwagon for. One dish that has been coming up around New York and on the internet is the exploding omelet, or omurice.

Ice cream trucks can be found on any side of Washington Square Park on any day that the weather isn’t gloomy.

I Tried… Ice Cream Trucks of Washington Square Park

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Sep 5, 2017
As an ice-cream lover, our dining editor tries the ice cream trucks around Washington Square Park.
Fresh Meat: New Food Spots this Fall

Fresh Meat: New Food Spots this Fall

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Aug 28, 2017
Take advantage of Welcome Week by trying out these food hot spots.
Boba Guys is a favorite among students to get bubble tea near campus, stocked with classics as well as adventurous flavors.

Mapping Out Your Meal Plan

Make the most of your meal plan by visiting these spots near campus.
The Dining Issue

The Dining Issue

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Apr 10, 2017

The Dining Issue

The Dining Issue

Some people love fairy tales, but I personally love stories about food. Food and the way we consume it has evolved so rapidly — you can even see the changes in tastes and preferences...

Open 24 hours a day, Veselka is a diner at 144 2nd Ave. that serves a variety of classic Ukranian food. Here is a list of several breakfast places on campus that will satisfy your craving at any time in the day.

Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Breakfast

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Apr 4, 2017
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Here's where to find it close to your dorm.
Making food look as good as it tastes isn’t always as easy as it seems. Here are a few things to watch for when taking pictures of your meals.

How To: Photograph Food

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Mar 28, 2017
Here are some tips and tricks to taking great food photos.
Eating a bagel for breakfast is a great way to start the day. Here are the best places on campus to get those important energy-loaded carbs.

Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Bagels

Bagels are a staple in New York City culture, so check out the best bagel shops near your dorm.
Perfect for students near Union Square, Baohaus at 238 E. 14th St. serves a fresh take on the traditional Chinese bao. Here is a list of some great sandwich shops near each dorm for a quick bite.

Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Sandwiches

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Mar 22, 2017
Without a doubt, sandwiches are a staple for college students — they're convenient, cheap and easy-to-eat. Read this to discover the best sandwich shop near your dorm.
Originally from Thailand, rolled ice cream has become one of the hottest food trends in the United States.  10Below recently added Ice Cream Tacos to their menu at their Lower East Side location.

Beyond the Trend: Rolled Ice Cream and 10Below

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Mar 8, 2017
10Below is the trailblazer for rolled ice cream shops in New York City. Some think it is worth the hype, but others believe the treat is overrated.

How to Eat Eggs Throughout Your Day

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Mar 6, 2017
Egg is a food very high in nutrients. Here are some ways you can include eggs in your daily meals.
Joe Coffee on 8th Street. Coffee can be a lifesaver to a student, especially during midterm season. Here are a few great coffee shops on campus that can substitute for the usual Starbucks.

Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Coffee

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Mar 6, 2017
Coffee is a must in every college student's diet. Here are some coffee shops near every dorm.
The “Food Computer,” invented by MIT agricultural researcher Caleb Harper, can progress urban farming by making it more sustainable. Amy Bentley, co-founder of the NYU Farm Lab and Professor of Food Studies at NYU Steinhardt, is thinking about using the “Food Computer” at the NYU Farm Lab.

Give Bees a Chance

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Mar 1, 2017
Bees are very important — not only do they pollinate, but they also play a very important role in the balance of the ecosystem. NYU Urban Farm Lab researches ways to make agriculture more sustainable.
Get your sweet tooth on by visiting some amazing bakeries around the dining halls, ranging from Baked by Melissa to The City Bakery.

Eat Your Way Around Each Dorm: Desserts

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Feb 27, 2017
Need that sweet treat to keep you going during midterms? Check out the best dessert shops near each NYU dorm to satisfy your sweet tooth.
The labels on food products can often be misleading because the vocabulary they use.  Cage free labels for poultry products are meaningless because most birds are not typically caged.

How to Become a More Conscious Eater

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Feb 22, 2017
With the increase of consumers concerned about animal welfare, many companies have taken to labeling food packages with often misleading messages. Here’s some information about common food labels to help you become a more conscious eater.
Juliana Fonseca-Alesso takes a bite out of two pizza slices simultaneously during the week in which she tried eating only pizza.

Photo: I Tried… Eating Only Pizza for a Week

Juliana Fonseca-Alesso, Contributing Writer Feb 8, 2017

The PokeSpot offers a large range of fresh, delicious ingredients to customize the perfect poke bowl.

Bowling Your Food

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Feb 1, 2017
Although eating food packaged in bowls isn't a new trend, it has seen a resurgence in 2016 and now, in 2017. Here are some of the best places to try some of the trendiest bowled food out there: acai, rice and poke.
The End’s colourful but expensive Unicorn Latte.

Unicorn Latte: Worthy of Money or Just Instagram?

Yasmin Gulec, Dining Editor Jan 23, 2017
Every month, a new food takes over our Facebook feeds, and this month it is the Unicorn latte. Excited by the magical name and a love for anything Instagram-worthy, I decided to find a place in New York where I could get a taste of this magical drink.
Student members of the College of Arts and Sciences wrote and performed the NYU-themed parody show which ran for three nights.

‘Forbidden’ Turns ‘Hamilton’ Violet

Yasmin Gulec, Staff Writer Nov 14, 2016
Forbidden NYU is an annual performance that pokes fun at aspects of NYU students' lives.
Yasmin Gulec challenged herself to work out everyday.

I Tried… Working Out Every Day For a Week

Yasmin Gulec, Staff Writer Nov 11, 2016
We all strive to go to the gym every day, but do we actually? Here's what happened when one writer did.
The Red Hook Grain Terminal in Brooklyn has been abandoned since 1965

Abandoned Places in New York

Yasmin Gulec, Staff Writer Nov 11, 2016
If you're looking for a little bit of adventure, there are plenty of abandoned places for you to seek out around the city.
Buffet-Go’s ordering takes place entirely online, making it really easy to find and
choose restaurants in the area.

Would You Eat Leftovers from a Random Buffet?

Yasmin Gulec, Staff Writer Oct 26, 2016
The app 'BuffetGo' allows you to fill your share of leftovers from hotel buffets for only $3! What could be better?
An interesting fellow, Harris, was one of the random strangers I encountered throughout my week full of adventures.

I Tried… The ‘Anywhere Travel Guide’ for a Week

Yasmin Gulec, Contributing Writer Sep 23, 2016
What happens when our writer plans her social experiences for a week based on a travel card pack? Read to find out!
The U.S. Needs To Take A Stand Against Duterte

Yasmin Gulec, Contributing Writer Sep 13, 2016
A UN member state, the Philippines have already ratified the Human Rights Declaration — they should be held to the standard they swear by.