International Safe Space Opens in Kimmel

Annie Swenson

This summer, the Center for Student Life opened the International Student Center, where international students can meet, connect and learn about new resources.

Adriana Tapia, Deputy News Editor

The International Student Center, a new space that promotes inclusiveness and engagement among international students, opened at the start of this semester.

Located on the seventh floor of the Kimmel Center for University Life, the center is an initiative created by the NYU Division of Student Affairs in collaboration with the Center for Student Life, the International Student Council and the Office of Global Services. The opening of the center comes at a time when NYU is home to the largest number of international students in the country, with more than 17,000 students from more than 140 countries, according to NYU’s website. Riddhi Keralia, CAS senior and president of the International Student Council, believes the timing is appropriate.

“NYU prides itself in being a global university and a melting pot of diversity and inclusion,” Keralia said. “Hence the suggestion for the creation of a center was well received and supported.”

CAS junior and Director of Advocacy of the International Student Council Danning Zhang said she is confident that the center will be beneficial for international students. However, she emphasized the importance of spreading the word about it.

“It comforts international students with the knowledge that we can drop by and get questions answered on a platform of solidarity,” Zhang said. “Yet these specific services need to be publicized in a more organized and effective way so that no one misses out.”

Assistant Director for International Student Engagement Isabella Villacampa encourages all NYU students who are interested in cultural engagement to get involved with the International Student Center.

“I am working directly with students who advocate for the development of programs, events and services for our globally minded NYU community,” Villacampa said. “Our programs are open to all NYU students to foster meaningful connections as global thinkers.”

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Sept. 5 print edition. Email Adriana Tapia at [email protected]