Anastasiia Ivanova, Ricardo Seco & ChikiMiki S/S 2018

Clarissa Davis, Contributing Writer

In an age where diversity is one of the most important topics in the media, it is no surprise that designer Anastasiia Ivanova, and others who presented alongside her, utilized just that this Spring/Summer 2018 season. The show, nestled in the heart of Soho, left bland and boring at the door and presented a creative world for the audience to enjoy.

Once inside the venue, loud trap music, vivid colors and lovely models welcomed you into an  urban landscape. A presentation preceded the runway show, during which models posed in outfits consisting of bags with sequined bugs, women in colorful hats paired with monochromatic polka-dot dresses, girls adorned in gaudy jewelry and much, much more.

As the runway show started, a model dressed in metallic pants and a shirt covered in primary colors strutted down the runway, holding a sign of the designer’s instagram handle. She returned to introduce each following designer.

The show then circled back to the idea of diversity, which was not only shown through the various ethnicities of the models, but through each of the designer’s collections as well. Each designer had some sort of representation of culture — whether it be their own or merely an influence — that shined through different parts of their pieces.

Ricardo Seco, for instance, presented his Hispanic culture through a Mexican Flag coat, a quote from Benito Juarez on the back of a red coat and even topped it off by playing the well known song “Suavamente” during the procession.

Although there were various prints, textures and silhouettes inspired by cultures around the world, the show ended with a collection from ChikiMiki that truly tied everything together. The “Be Different” slogan tees and rainbow ensembles reminded the audience that being different and diverse and colorful should never be anything to hide. Needless to say, the show was not only filled with fashion, but with hope for a more diverse tomorrow.

Email Clarissa Davis at [email protected].