Fall in Love with This Season’s Trends

Echo Chen

A classic and easy way to take any outfit to the next level is to add fur.

Caroline Weinstein, Contributing Writer

With summer ending and fall’s impending arrival, fashion trends are moving toward thicker layers and new, exciting fabrics and accessories. Both pale pink colors and furs continue to be popular looks on the runway, as seen at New York Fashion Week last year. Street styles like mesh, leather and fringe have dominated the runways and appear to be a promising trend this season. The Fall 2017 runways have paved the way for some of the most popular trends you can try out this fall.

Fringe

Fringe has appeared on runways for years now, and this fall is no different. Colorful fringe is very popular as an added flair to traditional pieces like black leather jackets and full-length dresses. Alexander McQueen and Gucci have incorporated fringe of all kinds — from laced fringe detailing to purses with long fringe along the sides — into fall fashion. Depending on your unique style, you can achieve a grunge or bohemian look by including some fringe pieces in your closet.

Pale Pink

This color makes any piece of clothing look classy and fashion-forward. Gucci and Miu Miu sported this color in various looks on the runway, especially in the form of dresses and fur coats. Pale pink pieces easily transition from day to night, while maintaining an air of femininity and delicacy.

Mesh

Mesh is a great way to add dimension to every look. While mesh is usually black and can be found on any article of clothing, Calvin Klein’s runway looks included an entirely nude mesh shirt, which added a modern approach to traditional mesh detailing. Adding embroidery to traditional black mesh gives another stylish layer to the already trendy fabric, like on Anna Sui’s runway where black flowers were embroidered in the mesh and in Versace’s Fall 2017 collection where words and flowers were stitched in the mesh.

Leather

From a night out to a fancy outing, leather can be dressed up or dressed down for any occasion. Leather — either faux or real — can add an edge to outfits with its sleek and contemporary vibe. Fendi, Louis Vuitton and Gucci have all added unique twists to this trendy fabric, from a red leather skirt to black leather overalls. Adding leather to your wardrobe allows for a distinct yet fashionable look day or night.

Fur

A staple piece for fall fashion, especially in recent years, is colored fur. Balenciaga, Prada, Anna Sui and Diane von Furstenberg have showcased furs on their runways this fall. Whether it be a traditional knee-length fur coat or the more popular fur jacket, this additional layer will keep you both warm and on trend. Consider adding a fur coat to an outfit in the day-time for a practical look that still spices up your outfit, or wear one at night to create a chic and cutting-edge ensemble.

Email Caroline Weinstein at [email protected].