Chiara Boni La Petite Robe S/S 2018

By Tyler Musante, Contributing Writer

Stella Kim

Chiara Boni La Petite Robe SS18

The dichotomy of nature was on full display in Chiara Boni La Petitie Robe’s newest Spring/Summer 2018 collection. The show’s two sections showcased both the bright and the dark side of mother nature’s ethereal majesty. In the first and larger section, models walking down the runway were reminiscent of woodland nymphs and fairies, shining and sparkling in pastels, flowery patterns and glitter. Lots of gowns in pinks, yellows and light greens set the scene out of some kind of forest dream. It seemed to be a dramatic retelling of the story of creation, acted out by Disney princesses.

Queens of the forest would come to greet the onlookers and serve looks, occasionally with a king clutched in hand. The few men among them were like accessories. Flowers in the hair, bare chested and chiseled, they shined as statement pieces to highlight the beauty of the woman. This half of the show was fun, bright and airy. Occasionally there would be a piece that stood out either because the asymmetry threw off the look, or because a well timed reveal would send shockwaves.

Suddenly, the show dramatically shifted – the lighting and music changed to signal the second half of the collection. Leopard prints and strong monochromatic designs created an entirely different mood – animal meets woman. Accessorized occasionally by strong heels, a matching purse and, in one instance, a jacket that doubled as a flowing cape when dropped from the shoulders.

This collection described the bright and dark within nature. It was sexy, raw and primal in addition to fun and bubbly. The all-encompassing nature of the naturalistic collection was impressive. It evoked a deeply feminine and mythical feel for those who identify with a forest spirit or a tiger on the prowl.

Email Tyler Musante at [email protected]