Torrid Spring 2018

Pamela Jew, Deputy Copy Chief

Torrid made headlines as the first plus-size brand to showcase its collection at New York Fashion Week. Although other designers, such as Christian Siriano, have used plus-sized models, Torrid is the first of its kind to only consist of plus-size models. The brand also showcased their top 10 finalists from its nationwide model search this past year. Many of the guests seemed to have been longtime fans of the brand as many audibly awed and cheered for the models.

Marked by black leather corsets and pink florals, Torrid’s runway looks did not differ from what you would find on their mall clothing racks. The collection featured a number of light-wash, ripped jeans with embroidered patterns, such as a tiger or flowers. Florals were on everything from leather jackets to jean jackets to skirts, and even the goodie bags for guests. The maxi dresses were among the most stunning pieces of the collection as they perfectly billowed off the models’ curves on the runway.

At the end of the show, the two designers — Liz Munoz and Kim Sippl — walked the runway after the models had their final walk. Torrid’s fashion show changed the face of NYFW and gave a platform to under-acknowledged plus-size models, but the fashions were expected and trite for the plus-size fashion empire.

Email Pamela Jew at [email protected].