How to Dress up Your Ramen

via instagram.com

There are a number of ways to spice up your bowl of ramen, like adding vegetables, meat or spices.

Amelia McBain, Contributing Writer

It is the first serious week of classes. The professors have gone over the syllabi, you have finally met your teaching assistants, and now is the time to start real studying. Time to shift from your summer gelato runs and slow-cooked barbecues to a new, more efficient routine. It is fast, simple and quintessentially collegiate — ramen. Hold onto your Cup Noodles, though — here are some quick and easy ways to switch up ramen so you never get bored of the cost-effective staple.

Upgrade your broth

The best way to make instant noodles different is to add a little dash of pastes, powders or sauces to the broth. Here are some of the tastiest add-ins:

– Peanut butter

– Green, red or yellow curry paste

– Curry powder

– Fish sauce

– Seasoned rice vinegar

– Sriracha

– Coconut milk

If all else fails, a little hot sauce is always a safe option.

Add eggs

Eggs are a great and easy way to add some texture and flavor to your ramen.

– Hard-boiled: Definitely the simplest way to add an egg. You can easily boil them in coffee pots if desperation calls.

– Soft boiled: Just like hard-boiled, but cooked for less time.

– Fried: Adds some delicious, crispy texture to a bowl of ramen.

Add aromatics

Aromatics — like garlic and ginger — keep well in cupboards and add plenty of flavor. Mince a clove of garlic, and cook it with the ramen, or zest a bit of ginger on the top after it is cooked.

Add vegetables and proteins

For those of you with more time and resources available, adding vegetables and proteins goes a long way in terms of both nutritional value and flavor.

– Tofu: Best pan-fried to give ramen additional crispiness.

– Chicken and beef: Wonderful if sliced into thin strips and simmered in the broth for 15-20 minutes. These meats pick up the flavor of the soup and provides a lovely tenderness.

– Pork: Try adding bacon on top for crunch and flavor or slices of pork belly for the authentic Tonkatsu experience.

– Bok choy: Also delicious simmered in the broth.

– Cabbage or leafy greens: Wilt them into the soup at the end for a healthier ramen.

– Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and onions: Sautee in a pan to cook and then drop them in with your noodles for extra nutrition and crunch.

Toppings

Some super quick ingredients for a little more flavor. Here are the best toppings:

– Crushed peanuts

– Scallions

– Red pepper flakes

– A lime wedge

– Sesame seeds

– Dried seaweed

Don’t let your favorite staple get boring. Try even just one of these extra ingredients to make another boring bowl of ramen into a new, delicious and unexpectedly innovative meal.

Email Amelia McBain at [email protected].