Stern Expands into DC via Executive MBA Program

Jake Quan

Stern School of Business will soon be expanding to NYU’s Washington DC campus

Alex Domb, Contributing Writer

Stern School of Business has announced that it will expand its Executive MBA program to include a Washington D.C. campus. The EMBA program, which is currently offered only out of NYU’s Washington Square campus, will be offered to those seeking high-level positions in business fields. Candidates for the program can apply this year and begin enrolling in the two-year program in August 2018.

The program will expand to D.C. to more conveniently serve business executives who seek to enroll. Classes will meet once a month on weekends — to accommodate the busy executives expected to enroll — and the program hopes to initially enroll approximately 40 students. The two year EMBA program will cost $165,000 in total.

“[The program] was designed specifically for senior-level executives who are balancing demanding careers and personal lives,” Stern Dean Peter Blair Henry said. “The program location is just 15 minutes from the airport or train station.”

Stern Vice Dean of MBA programs Raghu Sundaram also stressed the convenience of the program for executives who currently lead busy lives.

“The format is designed to maximize time-flexibility while ensuring plenty of classroom time and interaction,” Sundaram said.

Though the exact courses that will be offered at the D.C. campus are still being finalized, Henry said the same Stern faculty that teach the EMBA program in New York will also teach in D.C.

“Our goal is to fill an unmet market need,” Henry said. “Local business leaders expressed interest in having more convenient access to Stern’s coursework.”

Those enrolled in the D.C. EMBA program are expected to already be senior-level executives with substantial business experience. Similarly to its New York program, students will be expected to choose between one of two tracks: Finance and Analytics or Strategy and Leadership.

NYU already has a campus in Washington D.C. which helps to support such a program without buying new property, and Washington D.C.’s proximity to New York is attractive to Stern’s faculty.

“Washington is sufficiently close that our faculty can commute to teach in the program there,” Sundaram said.

The school hopes the D.C. EMBA program will maintain a similar amount of diversity in its students as its New York program boasts.

“We expect to draw from a diverse array of industries — healthcare, finance, technology, government and more,” Henry said. “We want to ensure that the dialogue among students is as dynamic as what we will teach them in the classroom.”

Email Alex Domb at [email protected]